National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I said I wasn’t going to buy another Taurus revolver until I got my Model 44 in to evaluate, but… I just bought a Tracker 6” 7 shot .357 magnum. It’s not the one I wanted. It’s not even my second choice but I am tired of waiting for the 686 price to drop from $900+ and the Taurus model 66 in 6” is either unavailable or more than I’ll pay.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

I don’t care for the “TRACKER” billboard or the wedge shaped lug. That’s the main reason for wanting the model 66. I almost bought this one and the .17HMR Tracker about a week ago and they both disappeared while I mauled it over. I saw it on gun broker for a similar price and grabbed it. I doubt I’ll be disappointed but that grip has to go. I’m sure it’s quite comfortable but I’m not feeling the look. I’ll need a set of wood grips for this one too.

What it does have going for it is, it’s stainless, it’s a double action .357 and it’s cheap (relative to the alternatives). This one cost me $540 after tax/shipping/fees. Not a great price but still under msrp. Leaves some breathing room for upgrades like custom grips. Maybe a little wet sand and polish might not hurt it either.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,709 Posts
I had a chance to shoot several Tauri revolvers in .357 and .44 Mag back when those grips were first introduced. If ugly is as ugly does, those odd looking grips are beautiful. They noticably reduce felt recoil, especially on short barrelled thumpers. They work better than Hogue or Pachmayer rubber grips.

I dislike rubber grips. I dislike Taurus handguns. But, if I ever were to get a short barrelled Taurus in .44 Mag it would wear those grips.

I have seen revolvers where the billboard had been buffed out.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
This is the first handgun I ever purchased... I bought this plus my wife's Ruger SR22 the same evening about 11 yrs or so ago

My son inherited the 627, it's now in his stable. but we still shoot it a lot

Here's my thoughts

• it is a very accurate shooter
  • the orange insert on the front sight combined with the u-marked rear is the absolute best IMHO
  • I worked hard to improve the trigger... I'd cock it, then push up hard on the hammer while pulling the trigger... Between that and shooting it a lot... The SA trigger is now delightfully crisp and light.
  • the space between the forcing cone and the front of the cylinder is so small that after shooting a while the cylinder will bind due to powder residue. Wiping it down once in a while during the shooting session helps prevent.
  • I replaced the Taurus ribber grips with Hogue.. Gives me a better purchase on this big gun.

We shoot only .38spl out of it

I'd buy it again

As I recall... mine (now my son's) does not have the massive TRACKER emblazoned on the side that I recall. I'll ask my son to take a pic or two to confirm.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Some of the best revolver sights on the market IMHO... Sample pics grabbed from the web... May not be 627 firearm but these are the sights

Tool Rectangle Automotive exterior Auto part Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Automotive design Shotgun

Here's the difference between the ribber and the Hogue

These are on my M990... A tracker-like revolver

The Hogue wins (for my hands at least)... Note it covers more of the trigger guard
Revolver Wood Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

·
Aim true !
12,747 Posts
With the stock grip i banged my knuckle on the the trigger guard. The Hogue grips i do not. And congrats on the new Tracker. (y)

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
This is the first handgun I ever purchased... I bought this plus my wife's Ruger SR22 the same evening about 11 yrs or so ago

My son inherited the 627, it's now in his stable. but we still shoot it a lot

Here's my thoughts

• it is a very accurate shooter
  • the orange insert on the front sight combined with the u-marked rear is the absolute best IMHO
  • I worked hard to improve the trigger... I'd cock it, then push up hard on the hammer while pulling the trigger... Between that and shooting it a lot... The SA trigger is now delightfully crisp and light.
  • the space between the forcing cone and the front of the cylinder is so small that after shooting a while the cylinder will bind due to powder residue. Wiping it down once in a while during the shooting session helps prevent.
  • I replaced the Taurus ribber grips with Hogue.. Gives me a better purchase on this big gun.

We shoot only .38spl out of it

I'd buy it again

As I recall... mine (now my son's) does not have the massive TRACKER emblazoned on the side that I recall. I'll ask my son to take a pic or two to confirm.
It does have the TRACKER letters on it... It's just faint

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Well, I said I wasn’t going to buy another Taurus revolver until I got my Model 44 in to evaluate, but… I just bought a Tracker 6” 7 shot .357 magnum. It’s not the one I wanted. It’s not even my second choice but I am tired of waiting for the 686 price to drop from $900+ and the Taurus model 66 in 6” is either unavailable or more than I’ll pay.

View attachment 131732
I don’t care for the “TRACKER” billboard or the wedge shaped lug. That’s the main reason for wanting the model 66. I almost bought this one and the .17HMR Tracker about a week ago and they both disappeared while I mauled it over. I saw it on gun broker for a similar price and grabbed it. I doubt I’ll be disappointed but that grip has to go. I’m sure it’s quite comfortable but I’m not feeling the look. I’ll need a set of wood grips for this one too.

What it does have going for it is, it’s stainless, it’s a double action .357 and it’s cheap (relative to the alternatives). This one cost me $540 after tax/shipping/fees. Not a great price but still under msrp. Leaves some breathing room for upgrades like custom grips. Maybe a little wet sand and polish might not hurt it either.
And... After all my other posts on your thread... Congrats on the purchase!

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dislike rubber grips. I dislike Taurus handguns.
I too can’t stand rubber grips in general. I don’t own a single revolver with rubber grips. I am also not a huge fan of Taurus. However, I’ll make due until the prices either return to reasonable or I find a deal somewhere on a 686 or Redhawk. Seems like a good gun to experiment on with finishing, tinkering and what not. A $500 gun won’t make me cry if I screw it up. A $1200 S&W might make me sad if I screwed it up.

·
Live Free
3,882 Posts
I am not fond of Taurus firearms in general, but that under lug and huge writing make that thing intolerably ugly for me. Grips are easy to change, but the rest…

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not fond of Taurus firearms in general, but that under lug and huge writing make that thing intolerably ugly for me. Grips are easy to change, but the rest…
I agree. I found this polished one on line and it doesn't look so bad. I think this is what I am going to try for.

Glasses Vision care Sunglasses Rectangle Eyewear

Here is the Model 44, the other one I bought.
Sleeve Eyewear Font Material property Office supplies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts