National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a tracker .44 mag and it was a very nice size and the price was very reasonable. How well do these hold up? I keep holding out hope that Ruger will build a 5 shot .44mag but it never seems to come. This is the first revolver of the size and type I want that I've found.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you like the feel of it you should always get it. :lol: Take some pics when you do get it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I occasionally shoot a friends Taurus Tracker in 45 acp, 4 inch barrel. Nice pistol actually, light, and the grip really dampens any recoil...44 or 45 Colt would be an ideal defense/hunting pistol.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I can't give you any feedback on .44mag I can tell you that the 627 Ttracker in .357 is a nice handling revolver. A few months ago while out sighting in a new rifle, my nine year old grandson wanted to try shooting the "big guns" with Dad and Granddad. I showed him how to hold it, and helped him hold it while he fired the first two shots, after that, the little guy went though two boxes of ammo, dumping the spent rounds and loading it by himself. He loved it! And so did we, lot of puffed out chests there! Almost as much as last month when He was explaining to his older cousin that "This is a wheelgun" :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive shot several different models of the taraus line( perk of being a range officer) and ive never noticed any flaw in them. very good guns with a good reputation.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leeindy said:
ive shot several different models of the taraus line( perk of being a range officer) and ive never noticed any flaw in them. very good guns with a good reputation.
+1 Taurus revolvers are on par with all the high priced brands for a better cost. I have shot the .44 mag and it feel good in the hand, evenly distributed weight, built in scope rail, decent iron sights, nice trigger pull, and the recoil feels like .357. Great revolver in my mind, Go for it

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have the Taurus in .41 Mag and it's OK. I usually shoot 170 gr, but it's manageable with 210-220. A customer of mine has the .44 and likes it, but admits that it's a handful.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I re-read the opening message and the question was "how do they hold up?" We all went off about how they handle and so forth.

My opinion of Taurii is that they have a loooong way to go in the QC department. Having sold many of them and owned/carried a few (my wife, as well), I can say that too many get through the assembly line with defects that should have been caught. Examples: Many of the revolvers I've had in have very poor fit and finish, especially the extraction "star". Some had trouble coming back to the same position each time; many had roughness that affected how rounds seated in the cylinder. I've also sent several back over the years to have the charge holes in the cylinder reamed. My personal .41 snub comes under that catagory. It took a mallet to remove spent cases (normal loads -- nothing hot or exotic). Saw the same thing on one .44 and several .357s.

To my experience, the Beretta lookalikes (the PT99 and PT101) were superb. I've sold a buttload of them and never had one returned.

Hope that helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts