National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
First and Foremost, Greetings to fellow firearm/weapon community. Additionally, being new(er) here, would like to Thank Moderators and, if applicable, sponsors who make this forum the thriving home community it is, for so many of us.

Now, after all that, onto my issue and hopefully ensuing discussion, with respectful, honest, useful advise from my more knowledgeable community forum colleagues...

PLEASE do not assume I'm being greedy and/or trying to pull one over on company whom was forced to settle class action. At the same time, I want to make CERTAIN the Legal Remedy I have coming to me has not been short sided > as I TRULY DO FEEL as if Taurus has TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF me.

My particulars: Rossi/Taurus settled a class action lawsuit, as several models were found unsafe, known to fire when dropped. Models with defect were paid to have shipped for inspection as soon as a fix was made available. AND DEEMED SAFE.

Waited almost 6 months (without my revolver for self defense as they were very clear to unload and store weapon) for notice, via mail, telling me to ship in for inspection and repair.

After several more weeks I recieved a call informing me that Taurus/Rossi's fix for the dropped accidental discharge problem > DID NOT PASS SAFETY INSPECTION.

Therefore I could opt to keep defective weapon and told I could never load and/or use again. And If I did, KNOWINGLY LOAD AND CARRY A DANGEROUS DEFECTIVE weapon that will fire if dropped - likely injure/kill myself, family member, or innocent bystander. They disclosed that if this happened, WHILE I WAS FULLY AWARE OF HIGHLY PROBILBLE DEATH/INJURY, that it would not be out of realm of possibility, in such instance, it would (full disclosure on their part) POTENTIALLY leave me in danger of criminal recklessness, manslaughter, the like. But, most certainly CIVIL LAWSUIT WOULD BE AWARDED WHATEVER THEY WERE SEEKING.

Now, obviously I chose to pursue the legal remedy which didn't include death/injury to innocent humans.

--> I was offered a COMPARABLE OR BETTER NEW TAURUS REVOLVER at no charge. Now, I'm not AT ALL familiar with Taurus' product model line.

I TRUSTED that they would continue to do what was just and fair and that in the event a 100% COMPARIBLE or IMPROVED model was their only option as replacement- they would certainly not, after all that, attempt to swap out an inferior or alternative model which WAS NOT EQUAL OR GREATER than EVERY feature and spec my faulty Rossi was equipped with.

So, after having Replacement Taurus model shipped to local gun shop, I was upset that Taurus FAILED TO INCLUDE A CHECK OR MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO COVER EXPENSE OF DUPLICATE BACKGROUND CHECK > Which I ABSORBED 100% of!

After getting home with new Taurus weapon system - I WAS SHOCKED that Taurus pulled, what I feel was an unacceptable BS move!

My Rossi Revolver was specifically selected due to it having a SIX ROUND CAPACITY, chambered in .357/.38sp.

Taurus had sent me a Model 605021

5 ROUND CAPACITY model. Same barrel length and chamber.

I did a quick check and Taurus has other 357 models, with 6 and even 7 round capacity (believe the 6 round model: 856, may only fire .38 special)

Anyone, more familiar with Taurus product line of revolvers reccomend 6 or 7 round revolvers, for me? I am flexible with the 2" barrel as well as what caliber chambered in - IF SUPERIOR WEAPON SYSTEM.

Which Taurus revolver models with 6 or 7 round capacity are available? Any particular models specifically SUPERIOR or Far More reliable, accurate, with materials and/or factory included upgrades, such as lightweight, enclosed hammer, optics, ect?

Would be open to barrel length, still considered concealable, maybe up to 3" or so. 357, 44 magnum, even .45 caliber.

Thanks for assisting.

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
You bought a Taurus, well...you bought a Taurus. You rolled the dice, just you weren't be surprised the set of dice has two single dots on two sides of each dice? Your state of IN charges you to do a background check for every firearm? Taurus didn't specify the model you would be getting in return for the broken firearm? I would have (even for Taurus) guessed they would have told you the firearm comparable to yours which you would be getting.

Heres their line up -

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/

Few have found good while others bad. I'm only going to say good luck. I don't know what else that will get you your results. If you looked into Taurus's reputation you would have known what you would be getting into.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,178 Posts
Anyone, more familiar with Taurus product line of revolvers reccomend 6 or 7 round revolvers, for me?
Why? After the dealing you just had with them why would you consider another one of their firearms?
There are other manufactures that make 6/7 round revolvers.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
well...............i would had asked them for a list to choose from......and not let them just send something random at their choice

...............as "comparable or better" covers a lot of ground.

as far as background check fees.........that is between you and the ffl and has nothing to do with the recall. If you want to get mad at someone, get angry at the politicans that passed the stupid law.......

taurus does not have a sterling reputation to begin with......either in quality, QC, or customer service. They have been making claims of improvement.....but they have a long row to hoe.....as i have heard that taurus has a 20 percent failure rate which requires customer service.....that is enough to overwhelm any service dept.

shame....i applaud their innovation in some designs and numerous model selections.....but execution leaves a lot to be desired. you either get a good one or a bad one.......so it two out of 10 guns are stinkers......well, do you feel lucky?

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Surprised Taurus didn't just ship your new gun directly to your house.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,178 Posts
I just reread this and have some questions/comments.

So, after having Replacement Taurus model shipped to local gun shop, I was upset that Taurus FAILED TO INCLUDE A CHECK OR MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO COVER EXPENSE OF DUPLICATE BACKGROUND CHECK > Which I ABSORBED 100% of!

After getting home with new Taurus weapon system - I WAS SHOCKED that Taurus pulled, what I feel was an unacceptable BS move!
Having been in this exact situation with another manufacturer. Once they decided that they were going to outright replace my firearm they gave me a list of comparable replacement firearms for ME to choose from. I’m thinking Taurus did the same for you and did not arbitrarily ship out a replacement of their choice.

In my case the firearm was shipped directly to me so I had no issue with transfer.
Yours was sent to a FFL. Did you not inspect the firearm before accepting transfer?
Did you not notice at that time the capacity difference between the model you originally purchased and what they shipped? If it wasn’t an acceptable resolution why did you accept transfer?
Am I misunderstanding the situation or missing something?

I am admittedly no fan of Taurus. Don’t own one/won’t own one but I am having a hard time finding the fault on their part.
I do agree the six month wait for a decision to be a bit excessive and unacceptable.

· Registered
541 Posts
You are a party to a settlement that was approved by the court. As long as the defendant adheres to the terms of the settlement, you have no further recourse. Because you agreed to the terms of the settlement. If the settlement does not stipulate that the defendant is on the hook for FFL transfer costs, you are SOL.

· Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Rossi made 2" .357 6 shot revolvers and is no longer importing revolvers into the US market, the closest Taurus product to the one you sent in appears to be the one they sent you. If your not happy with it I'd suggest you sell it and buy something else.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Well as a Taurus NUT I own 1-2 calibers form different models on "Recall List" I kept every one of them Taurus is not inferior the "Suit" well that is morons trying to people In my book if you purposely fugg with a trigger while applying safety you deserve whatever happens. However try the Taurus 817 it is .38 only 7 rounds I like mine. Now see I am confused the list of recall I received was all autos PT line without safe action garbage "Drop Safe" garbage but action may have been extended I gotta look into it.

YES Rossi has got Revolvers on the "Drop Safe" list MY STARS I was aware of the Taurus Line which were autos Rossi Has same line up on their revolvers (I Know Taurus IS Rossi) WOW I followed Taurus so close that the Rossi slipped by

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.