National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a Taurus pt 1911.
Has anyone had any experience with one of these or have any opinions on them?
The guy at my favorite gun store doesn't particularly like Taurus [has had bad experiences with them]
but says he thinks they did their homework on this one.
Its the only Taurus model he stocks any other Taurus he will special order if someone wants one.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I've heard so many god reviews about this pistol---I've got to get one soon. A local shop here just started stocking them. I've already fondled the blued and the stainless models. $500 and $600 respectively. This pistol has all the customizations a 1911 fan could want. I looked at the Rock Islands--I definitely think Taurus got them beat. I've never considered any other Taurus before this one. Ayoob has alot of good things to say on this one too!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I too have seen a lot of high ratings from writers about this 1911. The price is very attractive as is the pistol. I like their lifetime warranty but suspect it will take a while to get one fixed.

The Taurus and the Rock Island certainly deserve a close look for those of you wanting a 1911 at a bargin price. Also take a look at the Kimber Custom. Its the lower priced model, but it shoots like a tackdriver. If you can find a deal on one used, grab it quick.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Has anyone here shot the Taurus yet?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have not shot a Taurus 1911 but I watched a Youtube video of a Phillipino shooter put 1,000 rds throught one in under 15 minutes. Impressive.

G

·
Thinking about getting a Taurus pt 1911.
Has anyone had any experience with one of these or have any opinions on them?
The guy at my favorite gun store doesn't particularly like Taurus [has had bad experiences with them]
but says he thinks they did their homework on this one.
Its the only Taurus model he stocks any other Taurus he will special order if someone wants one.

I don't do Taurus...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Raptor, quote " I don't do taurus...". Why? Bad experience with other taurus products? politics?

G

·
Raptor, quote " I don't do taurus...". Why? Bad experience with other taurus products? politics?
I'll explain, but please, I'm curious about "politics"? What is the relationship with taurus and politics?

I spent years in a gun shop, and each year we had various promotions, Glock, Sig, Kimber, etc...When we had the Taurus promo, and sold them all weekend long, due to price and what have you, all the next week they same people would be lined up at the repair dept to send back to Taurus for repair..The PT111 Milliniumn was and is JUNK..They also went through a period of having defective transfer bars and just is not a high quality product..They make lots of different guns, cheap guns, guns that nobody else makes, ie the Judge, and they have a nice slick catalog with pretty pictures, but not much else...They have good news and bad news---The good news is they have a lifetime warranty---the bad news is you will need it! And it takes months to get them back sometimes.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Raptor, re: politics. Some people refuse to do anything but "buy American".

Thank you for your reply. Well reasoned and explained.

G

·
Raptor, re: politics. Some people refuse to do anything but "buy American".

Thank you for your reply. Well reasoned and explained.
I got it now...No, for me, I only have any gun for only one reason, personal defense...I am responsible for my personal protection, as the cops will just try to solve why and who killed me otherwise...That being the case, I want only the best money can buy, I don't care where it comes from...

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
My PT1911 works like a champ. I only have had two issues with it. I've even looked at the ones that are currently in stores, and they have the same problems. The ones that are out right now, mine included, seem to have a problem with the slide stop. They do not fully engage. It will stop the slide, but after a while, it may peen the edge off. Also, the ambi-safety tends to walk out and fall out. Happened to mine, happened to others I've spoken with. But, after changing those two parts out, it runs like a million bucks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts