National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used Taurus revolver a while back chambered in .357 magnum. I've been carrying it concealed, and for the most part I'm very happy with it, but I've had an intermittent problem. Randomly, usually after I empty the cylinder, when I reload and try to pull the hammer back, the hammer will be stuck. The trigger won't pull either. There seems to be a pin that should be getting lifted or placed somewhere by some mechanism, and it's visible when you open the cylinder. The only way I've been able to restore functionality is to take a thin blade that fits in the slot behind the cylinder and press the pin back and up while working the hammer. Eventually it re-seats itself where it's supposed to go and the gun will work just fine again for a while. Below is a photo of the pin in question. Right now the weapon seems to function normally, and I can't really tell anything different about the way the pin is positioned when the hammer locks up. Otherwise the weapon appears to be in great shape, shoots accurately, rifling doesn't have any noticeable pits or chips, etc. Usually after I load it for carrying, I pull the hammer back one time then ride it forward to make sure it's functioning, because I've only had the hammer stick immediately after reloading. Excuse the dirt, I literally just walked in the door from shooting it and haven't had a chance to clean it.
taurus_pin_circled.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just noticed that if I open the cylinder, the hammer freezes, but if I depress that pin slightly with my fingernail, it frees up the hammer. It appears as if this function is performed by the gears on the rear of the cylinder normally, and the "pin" is just the end of the lifting arm that catches on those gears and rotates the cylinder, but it has to be depressed ever so slightly in order for the hammer to be released to come back. I wonder if it could be getting caught in the forward position somehow.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have you had the side plate off the pistol at any time? I haven't worked on the Taurus Revolvers much and am looking at what I think might be your problem. Have you had the trigger spring out of the frame?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I won't practice gun medicine without a license, so I can't tell you what's wrong, but if this is your carry gun, either get it repaired or replaced. NOW. Your carry gun cannot have an "intermittent problem" of any kind - it has to be 100% reliable. BTW, if you send it back to Taurus, it may or may not get fixed, and that will take a couple of months to find out. Taurus does brilliant and innovative engineering, but lousy execution, and worse customer service. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't practice gun medicine without a license, so I can't tell you what's wrong, but if this is your carry gun, either get it repaired or replaced. NOW. Your carry gun cannot have an "intermittent problem" of any kind - it has to be 100% reliable. BTW, if you send it back to Taurus, it may or may not get fixed, and that will take a couple of months to find out. Taurus does brilliant and innovative engineering, but lousy execution, and worse customer service. Good luck.
Yeah, since I'm in my pickup most of the time anyway, and live in a very rural area, I've been keeping my AR-15 in the back glass of my pickup. I've oiled that part and blown it out as good as I can, I'll take it out and shoot 2 or 3 volleys out of it to see if it's fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts