National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Taurus 1911 has been out for a while now and I am curious for some comments from the field. Is this gun any good? Or is it like most other Taurus semi-autos, Junk? For the money it seems like a good buy, just wondering how it performs.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
They show up at the range all the time and I haven't heard anybody complain about them. I know two guys who have them and they seem to be happy. I wouldn't mind to have one if I had the extra cash. :-B-:

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
#1. Ayoob gave it raving reviews in the Harris outdoor publication 'The complete book of handguns 2008' edition (which I have of course). It peaked my interest, and I asked for reviews on another forum. There has been nothing negative to say about the PT1911. Earlier this year I had come across alot of the Rock Island Armory (RIA) 45's in full size and the compact at very reasonable prices at gun shows, and local shops. When I fondled the fully outfitted PT1911 at one of my local shops, the RIA doesn't even register a memory with me. Competition shooters also seem to be very pleased with the PT1911. I do believe it has to be the best 'custom' 1911 pistol on the market now for the price. Just my opinion of course, and I wish I would have had one of my own by now, but it will have to wait a bit longer. If this pistol was in view for me before I bought my G19, it would have been the PT1911. Oh--I'll get one--just a matter of time and money. It is number one on my list no matter what other new toys appear on the horizon between now and then. Consider it a mission!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I really can't answer that icemonkey, but can I answer your question with a question?

To me the only 1911's should be either Colt - S.A. - Kimber or Para Ord. Brand name guns that aren't traditional 1911's seem as strange to me as Toyota in NASCAR. Your thoughts?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I had a couple of PT140s that I never had a problem with, other than a bad fit for my hands.

There are 2 or 3 members here that carry PT140s, they love their Taurus autos.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I recently bought a PT1911 and took it to the range for the first time. I had absolutely zero problems with it that weren't self-inflicted (such as bad grouping). For the price, it is a great purchase. It is loaded with options and, as with all 1911's, it is easily customizable (sp?). The heinie "straight eight" sights made for very easy target acquisition. I had no jamming or feeding problems shooting 230gr. FMJ Winchester White Box Ammo. After the range trip, it was completely disassembled (for the first time) in under 10 minutes. Not just a field strip, but everything was removed, all the way down to the Ambi-Safety. It went back together in less than two minutes. The basic PT1911 does not have all the glitz and glamor of, say, the Kimber, but it has more options than you will find in the price range (walk-out, I paid $601.04). I think it looks great, it shoots great, fits well in my hand and operates as it should.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I really can't answer that icemonkey, but can I answer your question with a question?

To me the only 1911's should be either Colt - S.A. - Kimber or Para Ord. Brand name guns that aren't traditional 1911's seem as strange to me as Toyota in NASCAR. Your thoughts?
Hahahaha...

I have a Genuine Colt M1911, so yeah... I can say I have a 1911...lol

BTW - The PT1911 by Taurus is actually a pretty nice pistol... I must say, especially for the price!
I have never been a real fan of Taurus... but have my eye on a Raging Bull :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The PT1911 has been in my arsenal for a little over a year now. Like most 1911's it took about 150 rounds through it to get it niceand lose. At this point it will eat anything that I run through it. Very reliable and a smooth trigger, it has been employed in a few poential threat situations with no hesitation at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been interested in the Taurus PT 1911 series. I was looking and haven't been able to find a Commander style Taurus 1911 in a 4" barrel configuration. I may have considered buying that instead of my Kimber I bought recently. But I don't know. Do the PT 1911s use MIM metal injected molding parts? I would love to shoot one to see how they do. I imagine it would do fine considering the brief reviews people have already given them here.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
According to their website, the frames, slides, and barrel are all hammer forged.

Haven't seen one in a 4 inch configuration either, unfortunately.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well it may have been Kimber that I heard someone mention uses MIM parts. I don't know, but I don't know if I shoot it enough to worry about it yet. I have only put about 350 rds through my Kimber so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a new stainless steel Taurus PT1911 in March. After about 80 rounds in which I had few misfires that required double hammer hits, which I attributed to old ammo, the left side thumb safety fell out.

I returned it to the dealer who graciously put it back together.

Next trip to the range more misfires and it fell apart again.

The dealer offered to replace the ambi safety with a standard safety but against his advice I sent it back to Taurus.

It is now June 29, and I still don't have it back.

The dealer has stopped selling Taurus semiautos of all types. He had three PT1911's in stock when I bought mine and all three had the safety problem. He converted two of them to non-ambi safety and reports no customer complaints but he doesn't want the hassle so he stopped handling Taurus semi-autos.

I have an old AMT Government Model (a 1911 copy) which does not have all the PT1911 features but it has never required repairs and goes bang every time I pull the trigger on a live round. I bought the Taurus because of all the hype about the special features but wish I had not.

So far I am very disappointed with Taurus and cannot recommend the PT1911.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well that's a shame, Mr. Rebelbred, I'd been hearing almost all good things about the PT1911. We've discussed Taurus many times and I would recount my problems and my customers' issues with them, but their 1911 hadn't ever been mentioned. Too bad.

Hey, If you have a minute, maybe you could go over the the New Members section and say "Hey!". We have a friendly bunch here (for the most part, anyway) and I'm sure everyone...well, most everyone, would like to say "Hey" as well.

Welcome to NGF!

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Registered
46 Posts
60 years of firearms, I simply can not bring myself to by a Taurus simply because "it isn't"..........it it a great gun but in the 1911 it is a very distant 4th or 5th place. Brazil of all places.........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Taurus looks like the quality they want to be!!!! Brazil made JUNK!!! I guess if you have never seen real quality or held it you would think this is great stuff...............it is NOT!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts