National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm very new here, as you can see. I'm a novice when it comes to firearms in general and I'll only use them for target practice. I can't use real firearms where I live so I use airsoft guns, but they have some pretty darn good, realistic airsoft weapons these days. I'm using the CZ SP-01 Shadow. I hope you'll have some insight (heh :p) either way regarding my question.

Anyway, I've been looking at videos regarding how to shoot safely and accurately and having both eyes open seems to be the way to do it.

My issue is that I have some (relatively uncommon, I think) issues with my eyesight. Last time when I went to the optometrist they said my eyes aren't perfectly coordinated with each other. He'd show an image (one image) of something that I had to focus on. I saw two and half images though, one very clearly to the right and one blurry to the left. He said that it's not alarming, they do still coordinate and as such, it's not something I notice very much in general.

Anyway, when it comes to shooting, when I focus on the front sight, I see it in double, and perhaps more importantly, the object I'm aiming at as well.

It could be that this is the exact issue everyone has when trying to learn how to shoot with two eyes open, but since I have this issue, I figured I'd check over here.

So, what do you guys think? Normal or not? Possible solutions if not?

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm right handed so when shooting a long gun i close my left eye and use the right eye to aim. when using a handgun i can use either eye to aim and close the other but i cannot shoot with both eyes open. I also see more than one sight and object I'm aiming at. Just aim and shoot however you can get a clear picture. Also the rear sight should be slightly fuzzy along with the target but the front sight should be clear as that's what you focus on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem. I'm right handed so when shooting a long gun i close my left eye and use the right eye to aim. when using a handgun i can use either eye to aim and close the other but i cannot shoot with both eyes open. I also see more than one sight and object I'm aiming at. Just aim and shoot however you can get a clear picture. Also the rear sight should be slightly fuzzy along with the target but the front sight should be clear as that's what you focus on.
Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated :)

It's good to know that it's due to the eyesight issues and not a matter of practice. It'd be better to practice shooting with one eye open and try to work around it if it's simply not possible with poor eyesight to use both simultaneously.

Have you tried any other solution to this issue though, like a red dot sight or something else? Anything that could make it work is worth trying. I go from having 180° to much, much lower (on the side I close my eye on).

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
The human eye can only focus on one thing at one time. Both human eyes in the same head will focus at different rates and degrees to both focus on one thing at one time.

I don't know anything about your particular issue, but it seems that you should probably try aiming with only one eye. Pick one and use it. Your dominant eye would likely be the best choice.

There are obvious advantages to using both eyes in nearly every situation .... except possibly target shooting.

Any type of scope or optics will allow you to dispense with the bringing three things into focus sequentially and just concentrate on one, the target.

I'm not sure about adding optics to airsoft guns. I know a little bit about optics but almost nothing about airsoft guns.

Good luck.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts
...or just close one eye.

--Wag--

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
do and use what works for you.......

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Rules and especially rules of thumb are not hard and fast. They are guidelines nothing more. Is it better to shoot with both eyes open sure but it is better to shoot accurately with one eye than to OBEY!!!! rules that do not take your condition into account.

If you had 20/20 vision and no issues that would be different, but you am what you is. Make adjustments and have fun. Do it how you gotta do it,

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just purchased some full lens magnification shooting glasses. Have not had a chance to try them yet, but from some dry fire, I can see that the sights are super clear, but the distance vision is sketchy. Will for sure help clear up front sight view.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
The human eye can only focus on one thing at one time. Both human eyes in the same head will focus at different rates and degrees to both focus on one thing at one time.

This, and what you have to see clearly is your front sight. The further your target is the less clear it is but if your front sight is clear and on your target you will hit it. If you have to shoot flies at 50 yards use a scope

·
Registered
576 Posts
I knew a shooter that had a left eye dominance problem. His solution was to take "fronted, translucent tape" and place one layer of the tape over the top 1/2 of the left lens of his shooting glasses. He could keep both eyes open and the left had no way of being dominate.

If you wear specs you could do the same while on the range and remove the tape before leaving.

·
Jesus Saves
8,049 Posts
I was sitting here thinking which I do I keep open.....I really have not thought about it much in few years. One thing I do need to do is practice without my glasses. I figure if I am ever in the situation and I don't have my glasses....it may be over before it starts.

I think I'll try that...

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I was sitting here thinking which I do I keep open.....I really have not thought about it much in few years. One thing I do need to do is practice without my glasses. I figure if I am ever in the situation and I don't have my glasses....it may be over before it starts.

I think I'll try that...
Ever considered RMR?

·
Aim true !
11,549 Posts
What is RMR?

·
Banned
1,113 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,549 Posts
Ahh cool thanks. I sold my reflex sight. Wasn't for me.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
It may be easier to post and chat on a forum but you had an eye care professional look at your eyes and give you a diagnosis. You should have asked him what his thoughts were. He may have been an avid gunner you never know.

Shooting with both eyes doesn't mean everything is clear and in focus as if using just one eye. With practice it becomes manageable. You have greater depth perception and field of view but If you are just target shooting one eye is fine if not the preferred method.

Some people don't realize they already use both eyes to aim. When you instinctively point directly at an object or person your finger is a blur or has some ghosting but close one eye at a time and see what happens.

I have way too much dead time watching TV. I'm watching "Life Below Zero" right now. Makes me think I might want to live off the land but know I'm too old and lazy to survive but I digress. When I think about it I drill by picking out targets on the TV and just bring my gun up to my visual plane quickly. I practice it at the range too. I've become pretty good at point shooting (with both eyes open).

Reactions: orion
1 - 17 of 17 Posts