National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Barney
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as tactics, does anyone practice moving, taking cover, and firing around a baracade? Ducking behind cover to reload? How about firing prone? Taking advantage of the training I've received over the years, I'm not going to be standing there shooting it out toe to toe like I'm Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke. I'm just wondering if people who carry are thinking about that? If not, something to consider.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
still do some baracade shooting and typical draw/move/point shooting for handshake distances.......
i am also getting a bit old. Bad knee, permanent limp, more steel in my left leg than robo-cop......so forget crouching, running, or going prone.....

Reactions: Coalcracker

· Registered
166 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Coalcracker, if I go down I'm down for the duration.

But to answer your question, no I do not practice. Though I have a CCP I choose to not carry. However, I'm getting more and more tempted to because of my health, not because I'm worried about finding myself in bad situations.

I was shot at about a year ago while I was working. I found that gangstas are about the worst shots on the planet. Six shots, the closest any one of those shots got to me was about 10 feet and hit a women in the arm (went through the arm and stopped in her breast). Two rounds hit the vehicle I was in, and three hit two vehicles behind the shooter. Those three caused the cops some confusion since there was only one shooter according to the witnesses. I never saw the shooter.

You might ask how I know the shooter was shooting at me. Good question. I drive a party bus, I had an all black folks party on the bus and was at an all black bar in the least wealthiest part of the town where this happened. I was the only caucasian in sight. One lady (?), not part of my bus party was yelling at me because of something she accused me of doing that I didn't do. Everyone said the shooter was a friend of hers and was trying get me.

Having a firearm in that scenario would have made matters worse I think. If I had seen the shooter and drawn my weapon how many more weapons would have come out? It would likely have been me versus the world after that.

(I guess videos have to be supported by YouTube or whatever, so I found a picture of the bullet hole in the window of my party bus instead. >>>

Attachments

· Barney
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm old, a few months from seventy. I can get down on my belly and back up. Not real fast though. And I can run a little, but again, not real fast. I do practice drawing and moving to cover. Not all the time, but enough that it is something I will do naturally, without thinking about it. I was shooting prone and kneeling the other day. There was no one at the range to see my antics. I certainly wouldn't go down on my belly as some sort of tactical maneuver at my age, but if I were to ever find myself in that position I wanted to see where I hit the target from that angle. It was an interesting thing to do. That's why I brought it up.

· Registered
166 Posts
OH Man! You're just a youngin! I'm the ripe old age of 63! :yikes1::cryin: :lol:

My body has been used and abused beyond normal expectations for my age unfortunately. Beyond that I'm a furly large person, it used to be muscle but now not so much. When the construction company I worked for closed up shop I stopped working like a mule. I went from a muscular 265lbs to what I am now (ten years later) at 330lbs and mostly flab.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
For some of us, running, crouching doing gymnastics to get to cover are no longer an option. Our best option is to hopefully get the first shot and make it count. If we don't get the first, at least get one that counts. They may get me, but I'll do my damndest to make sure they get nobody else.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,893 Posts
I, too, am old (well past 70) and beat up from a life 'well lived'. The 'tactic' I've found most valuable it to keep my head up and my eyes open (situational awareness). I get out of trouble's way when I see it coming. I'm not a LEO. I'm not Rambo. I have no desire to be a hero. Its not my responsibility to jump into the feces and kick it around.

· Registered
396 Posts
I practice shooting from various positions (squat, kneel, lean, etc.) and I try to practice shooting while moving. My practice range has fallen into disrepair as of late, making more 'dynamic' drills unsafe. I'm hoping to fix it up a bit over the next few weeks since work is slow right now.

Reactions: Randy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.