National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my gun myself because I actually enjoy it. For those who hate to do it, do you prefer to take it to your local gun shop? If you do how much is a normal cleaning?

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I always clean my own for field stripping. When I had 1911s, I will admit that I didn't know how to take all the frame and slide internals apart. I no longer have any 1911s now - but if I did,. I suppose after several years, I might pay for a smith to take it apart and check it out and clean it.

Now, on my P99s, I KNOW how to take the slide apart and take all the internals out...

Can't do it with my USPc or Five Seven, though....

G

·
I've always cleaned all of my guns myself. I believe that is all part of owning firearms. Learning proper care of the gun's you own.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I detail strip & clean all of my firearms. Some of them are harder than the others to work on, but so far I've been able to put them back together in working order. :roll: :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have always cleaned my own guns. I like to be able to insure they are lubed correctly and to check for wear and broken parts when I break them down.

The 1911 only requires that the barrel, slide, bushing, mag be removed and cleaned. From there you can access most critical areas and clean it real good. I have never pulled the hanmer, springs, firing pin etc in a general cleaning. Only if a part is broken, which has never happened with my 1911s. You could always immerse them or use the spray foaming cleaner if you desire a more extensive cleaning. Just make sure you lube them well after removing all lube from the moving parts.

My Sig's are the easiest guns to clean. No bushings to remove or springs to battle with. Toggle the take down lever and off comes the slide. Well thought out Pistol design!

·
Registered
648 Posts
if you take your gun to someone for cleaning ......well you know...

just my opinion

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
If you can't clean them yourself, you shouldn't have them. That's one of the first lessons my Dad taught me in shooting - You shoot 'em, you clean 'em!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Glock. Because it's dishwasher safe. Don't ask how I know.. :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I clean them myself (of course!). I didn't know that there are people who take it to a gun shop to have it cleaned :shock:

Glock. Because it's dishwasher safe. Don't ask how I know...
Is that purely a joke or can you actually do that? I read that so often and I was always wondering if there are people who do it or if they are just kidding...I wouldn't do that either, Glocks are so easy to clean, I'm just curious ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
One of the ranges that I visited in CA back in the 1980's used to just take the Glocks and other guns and dunk them in a bucket of slovent to soak!

I do think some ranges will employ folks to clean guns for $5 each or something like that! Got to be a good way for teens to make some bucks and learn how to take down most makes of handguns.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Clean them myself. Every time I take a gun apart, I learn something new about how it works. 1911s are extremely simple in design, and only slightly more difficult to reassemble after you've torn them completely apart.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone here in my town to do a good job cleaning my guns or putting all of [MY PARTS] back together correctly.

G

·
lanber said:
I wouldn't trust anyone here in my town to do a good job cleaning my guns or putting all of [MY PARTS] back together correctly.
Me ether,I know I can do it better because the piece is mine.

G

·
Glock is easy as hell to clean, now the little Walther P22 gave me some trouble the first few times I tried to put it back together.

G

·
Travis said:
Welcome to the forum! Glocks are REALLY easy to clean.
Thank you. :D Seems like a decent place so far, I think I will like it.

Yeah, Glocks are really easy to field strip and clean. Like I said before, that little Walther P22 is a fricken pain. heh.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Entreri said:
I clean them myself (of course!). I didn't know that there are people who take it to a gun shop to have it cleaned :shock:

Is that purely a joke or can you actually do that? I read that so often and I was always wondering if there are people who do it or if they are just kidding...I wouldn't do that either, Glocks are so easy to clean, I'm just curious ;)
Have done my Glock and my HK's in the dishwasher. Also from time to time take them in the shower with me. I just blow them off with compressed air afterward.

No I'm not kidding

Maybe I'll have to post pics.. :eek:

·
Registered
761 Posts
owtlaw said:
Entreri said:

Have done my Glock and my HK's in the dishwasher. Also from time to time take them in the shower with me. I just blow them off with compressed air afterward.

No I'm not kidding

Maybe I'll have to post pics.. :eek:

She9 probably wouldn't mind the shower pics.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Have to get some special ones for her.. :i:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts