National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find an orginial T3 .30 carbine wood stock to complete a restoration project for a historically significant WWII military artifact. An Inland - Winchester or reproduction T3 stock will do. Can anyone help or offer some advice about where I can find this much need carbine part to complete this restoration?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Darrell, have you found one yet? I've been looking all over the web and can't seem to locate any. If you have specs for the stock, a custom may be your best bet.

Best of luck

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Let me see what my uncle can find. If he can't find it, they may not be available. Will get back to you.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Here is my uncle's response

THE T-3 WAS A SNIPER CARBINE WITH INFRARED SCOPE. NOT TOO MANY WERE MADE & EVEN LESS USED. FORM WHAT I CAN SEE IT USED A M-2 STOCK. THAT IS THE ONE FOR FULL AUTO, WITH THE CUT OUTS FOR THE SELECTOR SWITCH. INLAND STOCK ARE PRETTY EASY TO FIND. I MIGHT EVEN HAVE ONE

I'll let you know what he found.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Darrell,

The link you sent me seems to show it as a solid stock. Are you looking for solid or folding, in the manner of a paratrooper's carbine?

The place with the most carbine stocks I can locate is auto-ordinance, but the stocks they sell don't appear to be for the M-2 Carbine (see my uncle's email). You MAY be able to purchase an M-1 Carbine stock and take it to a competent wood worker who can make the requisite modifications.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
See if this is what you need.

http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/parts3.html

Check the 11th, 20th, and 28th items.

Someone on here may know something about the dealer, as I can't vouch for reputability, but it appears to be what you need. Let me know if I'm off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt,

I really appreciate your help. I got it figured out and got back to your post. Your uncle is right about the M2 (select fire) stock being combined with the night vision to be designated as the M3 carbine sniper scope.

What I have is the T3 carbine which was the prototype for the M3 system. In 1944 Inland made about 800 carbines and Winchester made about 1100 for this super secret (at the time) night vision project. The carbines used special recievers and distinctive stocks, as in the link I sent you, and then the government scrapped all of them (but some, including mine survived). The T3 stocks were distinctive looking because the fore end was square and boxy looking because the infra red lamp was hung underneath (in the M3 system the lamp was moved to the top of the scope). The stocks are rare but they are out there because one shows up occasionally for sale or on eBay. I'm really getting disappointed in this quest.

The rifle is a historically significant object and I believe that it is important to preserve as accurate as possible.

Once again, thanks for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me search.

Darrell

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." ~ Thomas Jefferson

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Got it. Man, I thought I had found your stuff. Well, good luck in your quest. I'll keep my ear to the ground. But in my research, it looked like there are an extraordinarily few surviving. There is one (complete) on Gun Broker for something like $3,500.00. Best of luck in your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts