National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my old K-Bar knife that I take with me camping but I am interested in what other people carry for knives when you are out hiking and camping. Do you use the "survival" knife with the compass and storage compartment in the hilt? I have seen these styles for sale and never bought one. Thought one might be a good addition. Let me know what you think

G

·
Just a little Spyderco folder, the 3 1/4" Centofante II. Lots of guys brought big survival or fighting knives here, but it's just a lot of extra weight to carry.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My everday carry is a Kershaw Ken Onion 1550ST folder with a 3.75" blade. Great knife which holds an edge very well but I have been trying to decide between a larger (than this or my K-Bar) survival knife/machete/khukiri. So anyone with any of these and can offer suggestions.....

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee - do you have a web site where I can view it?

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not bad but slightly too wide for what I was looking for - may add it as additional tool to my gear. For the hiking, here is my first thought ....[attachment=0:8cf0d]Khukuri.jpg[/attachment:8cf0d]

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
leeindy said:
my dad has one of them. not sure if i like it.
My friend had one in the past and it was a very versatile tool. Good length and leverage for chopping, cutting, scraping and sharpening. May not be the one but I liked it in the past.

Bye the bye - Your'e quite the argumentative one aren't you? :lol:

G

·
I Carrie a old buck right now but am in the processes of building a bowie out of som stainless with a buck horn handle.

G

·
i've owned a few of the 'hollow handle' survival type knives with the goodies inside. i don't like them. not only does the junk in the handle rattle around constantly, but the knives themselves don't seem to hold up very well. nowadays i carry a kabar d2, usually inside my pack though. it's a great knife, but a little on the heavy side for most needs. i would like to find a smaller fixed blade knife for hiking/packing, but haven't found one i like yet.

G

·
I was given a knock-off 'Rambo' knife a few months back, no compass or survival materials in it, but the blade is stainless steel and pretty much sucks, I wouldn't carry it.

My EDC knives now are a Spyderco (not sure of the name), and an el cheapo I bought after chipping the tip of the Spyderco off digging a bullet out of a tree. Spyderco slips onto my pocket, cheapo is on the carabiner clipped to my beltloop.

When deer hunting I take a Buck, when fishing I carry a Craftsman, along with the EDC.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Never handled a "Survival Knife" that I liked and that felt like a quality blade in my hands.

When I go hiking / camping I always take one of these with me:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts