National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone list sites where I can get some good surplus firearms deals? I go on gunbroker and used to use arms list but I am looking to look at more. Lol gunna be buying something soon enough here.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
i don't know about good deals......everything is in demand

but i have bought from these outfits

and while maybe a little high, the stuff is usually good condition with individual pics on this site....higher grade than run of the mill surplus

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
You'll get the best deals going to smaller gun shops especially if you know what you're looking for marking wise. I have a buddy who is somewhere between OCD and photographic memory and love going to gun shops with him. He can spot a milsurp before the door closes behind us and is very good when it comes to different markings. i Have bought several guns having him with me and passed on even more than i may have bought if he didn't point out some problems or knew the price was too high. Either way some research helps and the small shops who could care less that the rifle your looking at was made by this country then captured by that country then re-barreled, re worked etc. Or has a certain marking making it 1 of 12,000 instead of 50 million. To them is just a K98 or a mosin etc...

From what i see online about Classic i would try to avoid them. Much of the time people seem to get a rusty POS unless you pay extra for hand picked, hand sorted etc and then you get a better rusty POS. I have bought one gun from them with no problems but pretty much the whole batch of guns they had were lightly used. They seem to be very expensive too but like quickdraw said that's most places now especially online sellers. If you ever want to get into very old milsurps or other antique guns check out IMA. I think everything they have is considered antique which means no FFL, no paper work and shipped to your door.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I love walking into the gun stores, like a kid in a candy shop. And I will look at those antiques after work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Simpson’s Limited is another option. They’re one of the biggest military surplus rifle dealers in the world and have a good variety of military surplus rifles and handguns in stock. While a lot of their stock is high end, you can find some affordable milsurps at reasonable prices. However, prices on military surplus rifles were already steadily increasing well before the pandemic arrived. Guns that I bought for $200 eight years ago have appreciated in value by more than fifty percent. Mosin Nagants and Eastern European Mausers are still generally the cheapest guns on average.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I enjoy looking at all these sites. Apt of history in it but also a lot of cheap firearms lol

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
I enjoy looking at all these sites. Apt of history in it but also a lot of cheap firearms lol
I like browsing around then too. I try to give my wife my debit/credit cards before i do otherwise i would be in much bigger trouble than i normally am.

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like browsing around then too. I try to give my wife my debit/credit cards before i do otherwise i would be in much bigger trouble than i normally am.
I’m single, so that’s not an option for me. FedEx just delivered a beautiful Japanese Type I rifle that I ordered Christmas Eve. Loaded some 6.5 Japanese ammo for it while it was in transit, so I’ve got something to shoot it with.

Now I want a M1892M15 Berthier rifle and M1892M16 Berthier rifle to go with the carbine versions I have. I’ll get them eventually. I also want more Japanese rifles, now that I have rifles chambered in both major service cartridges that they used (6.5x51mm and 7.7x58mm).

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
I don't have a type 1 nor have i ever fired the 6.5 but i do love my 7.7. It's fairly accurate no matter what i load whether it's full powered loads or reduced cast loads. I usually use the cast loads because it's cheaper, easier on the gun and my shoulder.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Only rifle I have in 7.7 Japanese right now is my Type 2 paratroopers rifle. I need to get a Type 99 and Type 99 Last Ditch. Also need a Type 38. I usually use reduced loads with jacketed bullets as a matter of economy and to save wear and tear. However I might well use full military loads for a standard Type 99 as they’re virtually indestructible. The US Army Ordinance Department attempted to perform destructive testing on a Type 99 and were unsuccessful in destroying the test rifle. They eventually gave up after boosting the test charge to generate 124,000 psi and only managing to cause the bolt to get stuck. Every time they got the bolt stuck, they managed to beat it open with a hammer and found no damage to the rifle (other than any damage they caused in beating the bolt open).

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Interesting, never heard of that. That would make a cool video.....for someone else to try, not me. LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Interesting, never heard of that. That would make a cool video.....for someone else to try, not me. LOL
That came right out of Hatcher’s Notebook. Evidently, they wanted to test the Type 99 for safety since many of the soldiers were bringing them back as war trophies. Just for comparison, the 1903 was designed to operate at around 53,000 psi. Some of the weak receivers failed at 60,000 psi. 70,000 psi would break any 1903 receiver. The quality of the steel and design of the Type 99 were excellent. The early Type 99s were made of better quality steel than any rifle we probably ever produced. The chamber design is unique in that it fully supports the entire case. Virtually no other military rifle does that. Frankly, I’d like to test a Last Ditch Type 99 to see what the lower quality of the steel barrels actually is.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
That came right out of Hatcher’s Notebook. Evidently, they wanted to test the Type 99 for safety since many of the soldiers were bringing them back as war trophies. Just for comparison, the 1903 was designed to operate at around 53,000 psi. Some of the weak receivers failed at 60,000 psi. 70,000 psi would break any 1903 receiver. The quality of the steel and design of the Type 99 were excellent. The early Type 99s were made of better quality steel than any rifle we probably ever produced. The chamber design is unique in that it fully supports the entire case. Virtually no other military rifle does that. Frankly, I’d like to test a Last Ditch Type 99 to see what the lower quality of the steel barrels actually is.
From what i have read the last ditch rifles have the same quality receivers and barrels as any other type 99. It's all the other stuff like the stock, sights, knurling etc they skimped on. I think they get a bad rap because of the training rifles people brought home after the invasion and blew up when fired.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts