National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a suppressor to pistol and AR-15. Starting my research. Using Silencer Shop as a starting point.

Any advice on consideration when making a selection, manufacturer, quality, durability, cleaning and hand loads when using a suppressor would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If you're lazy like me buy from silencer central you can do it from your lazy boy and they ship it to you. They have a free trust too.

Reactions: spookster

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've used silencer shop 3 times for suppressors and like the electronic kiosk setup they have. As for brand, I went with a Texas Silencer Company Outrider with interchangeable end caps to match caliber. I also have a Witt Machine suppressed upper and PSD Minilith rimfire suppressor.

If I was only getting one I'd look at the Griffin Optimus because it can be configured for pistol through 300 win mag. I went with TSC for weight, titanium build and cost (Still awaiting ATF approval).

I have a dedicated suppressed AR upper in 5.56 and really like it a lot but wouldn't suggest going that route on first suppressor. Nice thing about a 300 Win mag rated can is you can put pretty much anything through it, 223 sized ammo may not be quite as quiet through a 30 cal can but it's still better than unsuppressed.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you're lazy like me buy from silencer central you can do it from your lazy boy and they ship it to you. They have a free trust too.
The owner of Silencer Central has been on Gun Talk radio and I was tempted to use them for my 3rd purchase. I stayed with Silencer Shop because my data is already on file including fingerprints and I'm too lazy to go back to the Sheriff's Office to have them done again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recently purchased a pistol caliber suppressor from Silencer Central. They set up a table at my local gun show and they do all the work and make the process pretty simple. Once my tax stamp gets approved they will ship it to my door. As for the suppressor itself I bought their Banish 45 which handles all pistol calibers I own up to .45acp. It's configurable to be longer or shorter and is easy to take apart for cleaning. And they set up your gun trust for free.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I recently purchased a pistol caliber suppressor from Silencer Central. They set up a table at my local gun show and they do all the work and make the process pretty simple. Once my tax stamp gets approved they will ship it to my door. As for the suppressor itself I bought their Banish 45 which handles all pistol calibers I own up to .45acp. It's configurable to be longer or shorter and is easy to take apart for cleaning. And they set up your gun trust for free.
Did they have a fingerprint kit or do it for you?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The owner of Silencer Central has been on Gun Talk radio and I was tempted to use them for my 3rd purchase. I stayed with Silencer Shop because my data is already on file including fingerprints and I'm too lazy to go back to the Sheriff's Office to have them done again.
Did the kiosk have a fingerprint option?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did they have a fingerprint kit or do it for you?
They had a digital fingerprinting device. They filled out all of the forms electronically as I sat there, then did the fingerprinting, took my photo, I gave them my money, they gave me a free tshirt and explained the process and next steps which now is waiting 7-9 months for the tax stamp to get approved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking to add a suppressor to pistol and AR-15. Starting my research. Using Silencer Shop as a starting point.

Any advice on consideration when making a selection, manufacturer, quality, durability, cleaning and hand loads when using a suppressor would be greatly appreciated.

What does a suppressor do?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Makes a gun quieter to help protect your hearing and so it doesn't annoy others as much who may be nearby while shooting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reduces (suppresses) the noise at the muzzle so it is not as loud. You’ll still need to wear ear muffs to protect your hearing.

7. What is the difference between a suppressor and a silencer?
There is no difference; these are just different words for the same thing.

The word “Silencer” is the legal term; but, either “sound suppressor”, or just “suppressor”, is more technically accurate since they don’t actually silence the firearm. You can use either term with us and we’ll promise not to care. :)

If you're interested in more information on the Silencer vs Suppressor debate, be sure to read this additional information.

8. How quiet is a suppressed firearm?
This depends on the firearm and the suppressor. In most cases, the suppressed firearm will be at least as quiet as wearing a good pair of muffs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for your input. Silencer Central has a nice section on a variety of topics that will fill in all my questions.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your input. Silencer Central has a nice section on a variety of topics that will fill in all my questions.

If you do decide to go ahead get the free NFA trust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts