National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some conversation on suppressed options for home defense. Basically I'm after the magic solution that won't disrupt my hearing, stops the guy in front of me and magically stops at the next wall if I miss. What I've learned, over generalizing a bit, is 300 blackout subsonic suppresses extremely well, but goes through lots of walls, while 556 doesn't suppress well at all but may possibly be less risky to your neighbors. Has anyone actually fired a suppressed 556 indoors and can you comment on how much it affected your hearing? Are there any other options that I should be considering?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've fired suppressed 5.56 indoors and technically it's hearing safe but there's no doubt you're nibbling at the edges of the definition. Certainly you're better off with it than a handgun or standard AR as far as noise goes but I had to wait a year for that tax stamp and don't want the gun put in an evidence locker while the DA investigates...
Maybe I'll just keep some amplified electric earmuffs on the nightstand and if something goes bump in the night put them on and listen to what's going on through those. Then if I do have to respond my hearing already protected.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
I get your concerns but it's better to be alive and hearing impaired than being able to clearly hear the coroner pronounce you dead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've already got a 12ga so I have "something" at the moment, but it's just too loud for indoors. Also my house is spread out and we sleep at opposite ends, so I want to be able to hear and communicate with people in the house. I think anything non-suppressed will at least temporarily disable your hearing to some degree, even a hand gun. So I'm looking for something suppressed, just not sure what the best choice is yet. This was really interesting. Maybe a hand gun round is what I'm looking for, but in a longer gun format for easier aiming. Again the goal is safe sound level and won't go into your neighbors house if you miss the bad guy:

·
Aim true !
10,274 Posts
If I need to defend myself and my family. Last thing i would be concerned about is the sound of my gun going off. I had my 45acp 1911 go off in a closed room. My hearing is still fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
At that moment sure, but why torture yourself when a little planning ahead can avoid it. I wouldn't think twice about jumping out of a 2nd story window to escape a fire at that moment, but sure would prefer to take the stairs instead if a little planning ahead could make that possible.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
reduce the caliber/gauge/power factor........if you are serious about the noise level in an enclosed space and multiple wall penetrations.....

a 38 cowboy load is a whole lot less noisy than a 357.......or a 32 Long compared to a 327.....or a 44 spl cowboy load compared to a 44 mag...be it in a revolver or a lever gun.....probably a cheaper solution than running the route of a suppressor on a special platform....less weight/bulk to the platform as well without the can.....

i have entertained thought to a 410 sxs coach gun for my youngest.......she is recoil shy and sound sensitive........

we all want to take a step forward...more power.....the mythical one shot stop.......the best of the best of the best.......

..........but from time to time taking a step back might be a better solution for certain specific things....like that 410 double barrel......i think she would love it.

who am i kidding... :unsure:

..i want to play with it too.....;)

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
There are suppressors for 12 gauge shotguns and since shotguns are subsonic they work quite well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm old (IMO). I've worked on LOUD construction sites (structural concrete) for over 20 years all told. The vast majority of the time I wore simple hearing protection.

It is important not to expose one's hearing to repeated or continual sounds that can/may damage hearing. Even so, given the risks involved from a home intruder or home invasion, there are so many other, more important things that I will prioritize over and above submitting myself to the temporary high decibels of a "few" rounds being fired inside my domicile.

Moreover, I've been inside a vehicle that had a "few" rounds fired off while not wearing hearing protection. Yes, very loud, but not debilitating (to me) in the least. The body, being pumped full of adrenaline, can do amazing things.

Full disclosure: I know a guy that has a home made oil filter suppressor that mounts to a 16" AR platform for a SHTF while he's at home scenario. It's as quiet as a church mouse compared to no suppression at all.

Yes, the what's downrange risk is more of a concern than hearing.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
If I need to defend myself and my family. Last thing i would be concerned about is the sound of my gun going off. I had my 45acp 1911 go off in a closed room. My hearing is still fine.
I'd go with his suggestion since a .45 ACP caliber is subsonic you could even attach one of those Osprey to your 1911 you would probably hear the slide more than the shot with it and less than 15 inch long in all
SilencerCo Osprey 45

Reactions: Coalcracker and SFL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was at the gun shop yesterday and the guy there also mentioned suppressing a shotgun. Mine is a hunting gun with a permanent compensator before the choke (no way to suppress this one) so I would need a different one, but that's not an entirely bad idea. Assuming a suppressor for a 12ga is going to be fairly large, does anyone know of a fairly short 12ga pump or semi-auto that can accept a suppressor?

A suppressed hand gun is on the list too, but I would really like a longer gun for the home just because it's easier to aim when you're in a hurry.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
It's a matter of choice but inside unless you have one of those open concept homes maneuvering a long gun in doorways, hallways and stairs under stress will feel like everything you walk through is 2 feet wide which is why a handgun or something the length of a carbine would be better,. Just my two bits

Edit: Not to mention if you go past a doorway with your 12 gauge and your guy is hiding there he's going to see your 12 gauge barrel WAY before you can peek in the doorway and take it away from you, a long gun/hunting gun is just not an option. On the other hand if you sweep with it pointing up you will eventually going to have to bring it down horizontally and in close quarter again, not possible you will end up fighting with the guy for the gun

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was my fear of a suppressed shotgun, it's going to be unwieldy due to the length. I wonder if there is anything like a 20ga that can be suppressed and still be a similar length to a suppressed ar15 pistol or carbine?

·
Aim true !
10,274 Posts
Sheesh just get a air pistol !

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
I get your concerns but it's better to be alive and hearing impaired than being able to clearly hear the coroner pronounce you dead.
Yep, God forbid I am ever faced with a SD situation... my hearing is going to be least of my concerns.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Just look at the length of this, you see yourself in total panic (under stress) going through your house with this?

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
I'd rather do this... with a suppressor

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Pew, pew, pew , pew pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew............................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just look at the length of this, you see yourself in total panic (under stress) going through your house with this?

<..SNIP..>
Yes that specific setup is waaayyy too long. But on the up side, that suppressor is modular and can be shortened to 6" which is not horribly louder (link below for comparison), but maybe if I can find a SBS setup in 20ga and adapt this suppressor, or even better find a 20ga version, perhaps it will be reasonably quiet at a reasonable length. 20ga is plenty deadly for any distance inside my house. Suggestions are still welcome!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts