National Gun Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
So the final process was file it down using strokes inline with where I wanted the grain to point as well as diagonally across both flat surfaces to keep the areas flat and keep myself from beveling the surface. Finishing with strokes along the grain pattern I wanted.

Then wet sand with 600 grit. A couple times I switched to 400 in spots because of deeper scratches from the file, then back to wet sanding with 600.

I lightly polished with Mother’s mag polish. This left any imperfections highly visible as I polished more than I wanted.

Finally, I reinstalled it on the gun, taped off the edges of the cylinder frame so I wouldn’t harm the original finish and used a heavy duty Scotch Brite pad using 3-4 firm but not hard strokes in one direction. The combination of the polished surface underneath with the light scratches left by the Scotch Brite pad left a near perfect finish to match the factory finish.

I left my phone upstairs so I will grab a picture after the grip panels arrive tomorrow afternoon.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
This mod made all the difference in the world. It’s a very pleasant shooter now. The better grip angle and ergonomics in the grip made a huge difference.

The difference in the curvature where it was digging into my finger supporting the weight.

·
Aim true !
11,679 Posts
Looks great. Gators has a 10.5 inch. For 700.00. But im holding off. Going to buy a newer SUV this fall. I did something stupid trying to fix my wiper assy on my Saturn. I cracked my windshield. Taking off the wiper arms. Hit it with a rachet, The assy is close to 200.00 And a new windshield is around 220.00. Im not putting that much into a car with 225k on it. I have to Nov to get something. The inspection is good through Oct.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Max really likes how the new grip feels. He shoots it better too. That’s between 25-27 yards. I saw the first 2 hit the plate, didn’t see the second 2 while I was digging my phone out of my pocket, then he hit the last 2 shots. So I didn’t see if he missed any but I saw 4 hit the plate.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
This kid was very disappointed when I said no to the .44 yesterday... going to be a big bore recoil junkie like his dad...

We shot .45s instead... Colt and ACP.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts