National Gun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The Bisley, much like a modern DA revolver, is flatter and less rounded than a SAA, Blackhawk and Vaquero allowing the heel of the hand, arm and shoulder to take some of the recoil from the wrist and fingers. At least the way most people hold them.
I hold the SA lower on the grip than most. My pinky is quite often on the bottom edge of the grip or even under it. That creates a blessing and a curse. It puts the barrel on an axis parallel with my arm and hand and easier to point. But it raises the bore axis farther above my arm giving the recoil more leverage. Allowing the elbow to give upward helps manage the recoil instead of forcing weaker finger and wrist muscles to do it.
Yup, I know. I'm weird.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I let it roll back with the Bisley too. But I can grab it a little lower and not get jabbed with the tail of the grip with a Bisley since it points more down than back at my hand.

·
Live Free
3,756 Posts
I was never a big fan of the Bisley grip...friends used to accuse me of being a masochist shooting SBH with full charge and hunting. :unsure: As much as I like SA Ruger revolvers, I dislike their DA revolvers. Being a revolver and big bore fanatic for a lot of years, I much prefer S&W, Colt (older guns...Anaconda) and Dan Wesson for a DA trigger. Today’s crop of DA Ruger’s does not seem much better in my opinion.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I loaded up about 550 rounds of 44 magnum tonight, so I’m pretty stocked up at the moment.

For the Super Blackhawk:

220rds 240gr @1100 fps (factory)
550rds 240gr @1240 fps (hand loads)
200rds 240gr @1310 fps (factory)

For the Henry:

100rds 240gr @1600 fps (hand loads)
50rds 240gr @1740 fps (hand loads)
200rds 200gr @2000 fps (hand loads)

btw, the 600 Berry’s 44 cal bullets I picked up at Cabelas a week or two ago are labeled 1850 FPS. I know we had conversation about that in the reloading thread.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Reactions: Philmo11

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
I have Water buffalo horn grips on one of my Super Blackhawk Bisleys. I think they cost around $20 - $25 and look very good on a blued revolver.

They are smooth (almost slick) and tend to let the revolver move when under recoil. This doesn't bother me much since I'm usually one-and-done with serious shooting. There's no rush when range shooting.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got my grip frame in today. She’s going to need some TLC. The backstrap was nicely finished before they scratched it. The underside including the trigger guard are raw milled with a couple deep nics. Going to need some sand paper and and some scotch pads I guess. If anyone has a better idea, I’m open to it.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Ok, so I wanted to test the new grip before I spend the money to have it fitted. It does make a difference for the better with the long heavy barrel. Tomorrow I’ll test with some heavy loads and see how it feels under recoil.

It currently has 357 springs in it. The trigger spring is a touch short but not so much I worry about operating it. Just makes assembly a pita to latch it under the trigger while keeping everything else in line .

You can see by the pictures how much material has to be removed.

This is the 45 Bisley I have for comparison.

Full view of both. I pulled the Bisley grip panels off my other 45 for testing tomorrow.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I didn’t want to waste the larger Super Blackhawk grip frame so I fit it to one of the 357 Blackhawks. It does make a difference. It was a near perfect fit. Close enough I won’t mess with it.

It currently has the 44 mag internal parts. It functions and locks up tight. I’ll swap the parts later. This is a side by side with the other 357 that’s still original.

With the lighter gun, the frame isn’t so uncomfortable. I can grip it a little lower and not jab myself with the corner of the frame.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok, I wasn’t waiting 5 months for the grip to be fitted (what I was quoted due to his backlog) so I am trying my hand at this. I think I have the sides where I want them. It ain’t perfect but I think it’s about as good as in going to get it without removing too much. Going to take a break and do the hard part.

If you look at the top of the grip frame where it meets the main frame, the angles are different and the main frame is too low to follow it back. It would take too much off the top of the grip frame. I haven’t decided if I’m just going to lower the top of the grip frame flat and level (where there will be a hip where the two join) or try to radius the top to blend into the the back of the grip frame. I think flattening the top of the grip frame would be easier but I can’t picture what it would look like.

Looking at it from different angles, you can probably see the appeal to just flattening the top of the grip frame to meet the main frame.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
It’s getting close. I may lightly buff where I sanded with some polish to take a little haze off it but it about there. Walnut grips should be here tomorrow. I used a 600 grit wet sand to get close to the original satin finish. I am no Smith by any stretch but I thought it turned out pretty good for a first time.

There’s a couple of spots that could use a little more elbow gre

I changed the direction of the grain to go with the backstrap and you can still see some of the deep grain going across. I’ll have to hit that again.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts