National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
many years back i had a ruger bisley in 357......i thought it was the cat's meow and i loved that gun.

later i was able to borrow and test drive a 44 bisley before given a chance to buy it and was glad i did.....absolutely hated it from the recoil impulse. Decided to stay with the plowshare to let it roll up in the hand with the 44..........different strokes for different folks..

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
no one seems to have even cowboy 45 colt ammo....but advertising a price of $60/50rds......if this insanity keeps up, its going to price folks right out of the market, competitions, and gun ownership....the retailers and wholesalers are just responding to demand, but they are going to milk this cow to death and there will be a domino effect thru the industry.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I went into a couple places when I first got my bisley, that would have been about April/May 2019. The shop I bought it from was $1.50/rd. Found some others for $1.20/rd. I ended up buying from Rural King at $0.60/rd. That’s those Armscor Cowboy loads. I guess the price has always been a bit high. I want to say 45 ACP for the other cylinder was $0.35/rd, so I shot a lot of that in the past.

The cost now is indistinguishable so it’s a justification to stock up on cowboy rounds.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Down in my part of Texas, .45 colt was going for nearly $1/rd before the china virus in most stores. The only center fire pistols I have now are 9mm and .357. I was able to stock up on 100 rd boxes of .38+p HPs for less than the cost of .38 target loads.
My oldest has the .45 Vaquero, stainless with custom custom fiddle back maple grips, now. I sold him the pistol, 250 rounds of HPs and enough stuff to load 250 more for the high price of $250.
He was happy boy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
no one seems to have even cowboy 45 colt ammo....but advertising a price of $60/50rds......if this insanity keeps up, its going to price folks right out of the market, competitions, and gun ownership....the retailers and wholesalers are just responding to demand, but they are going to milk this cow to death and there will be a domino effect thru the industry.
I went to ammo seek and the cheapest I saw in stock was $1.60/rd for loose bulk ammo. So 1,200 rds is about $1920.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Bisley was my first. Just feels natural to me.
A lot of people like the Bisley. I don't remember shooting one and I know I've never owned one. I didn't realize the grip was more substantial than the SBH grip. It looks to be more comfortable but one of the first things I did with my SBH is outfit it with Pachmeyers so it's comfortable to shoot. Well as comfortable as a 44 mag goes.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
many years back i had a ruger bisley in 357......i thought it was the cat's meow and i loved that gun.

later i was able to borrow and test drive a 44 bisley before given a chance to buy it and was glad i did.....absolutely hated it from the recoil impulse. Decided to stay with the plowshare to let it roll up in the hand with the 44..........different strokes for different folks..
I've seen people shoot and let it roll up in their hands and talk about how that grip was perfectly made for that. Some used almost a 2 finger grip They let their arms roll up too and I thought they were playing. They were hitting what they were aiming at so I can't argue with their success. I was never able to use that technique. Like I said I put Pachmeyers on and that allows a firm grip and helps soak up some of the recoil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
not trying to highjack the thread , if i am please say so and i will start one

but which is better the super blackhawk or the redhawk , i have never fired a "super blackhawk" , i owned a Blackhawk in the mid 80's ,but fell in love with S&W and sold it , but back then there was a very large bridge between a blackhawk and a redhawk

·
Aim true !
12,465 Posts
Black hawk is single action. The red hawks are S/A D/A. I shoot in S/A. So D/A is not a factor for me. Also both in the super are 44 mag and up. I think that is correct. I have a super B.H in 44 mag. My neighbor has a SW 29. I like the perceived recoil in the Smith. I have a SW 25-5 in 45 colt. It's a sweet shooter. I like it better than my S.B.H.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
for me, the only reason to own a redhawk is for the DA trigger....i have no need nowadays for DA work with heavy magnum loads. The last time i tried a redhawk i was not impressed with the da trigger anyways.

besides, a ruger Blackhawk simply points/handles better for me than a redhawk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
for me, the only reason to own a redhawk is for the DA trigger....i have no need nowadays for DA work with heavy magnum loads. The last time i tried a redhawk i was not impressed with the da trigger anyways.

besides, a ruger Blackhawk simply points/handles better for me than a redhawk.
i agree , its been so long since i owned that Blackhawk i wasnt sure if they had gotten better, but if you shoot a S&W and then the BH its like night and day , i knew the obvious difference was between single and double , i wasnt sure if the trigger pull was better on the Red Hawk since it was double

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
S&W for double action and I like the Redhawk. I don’t like the newer Super Redhawk. I’m sure it’s a great weapon, just looks goofy to me. My brother is the opposite. The Blackhawk is a completely different animal.

I’ve seen guys measure the trigger pull between the Redhawk and the Smith, the Smith is always lighter. In SA, both my 500 magnums had hair triggers, somewhere between 1-1.5lbs. I strongly prefer shooting in SA with a heavy revolver. I’ve only double tapped a gun twice in my life, both times with a 500 magnum. In both cases was a delayed double tap.

In SA, my trigger finger is loose and more easily manipulated. In DA, it’s tight from the heavy trigger. That and the death grip you have on it just to support it and hang on for the recoil. In 2 cases, didn’t get my finger far enough forward in time for the weight of the gun to come back down after the muzzle flip. So instead of a quick TAP, TAP like you see people in videos doing, it’s a TAP, pause, TAP.

While I’m on the subject, @fixitfred mentioned letting the revolver roll up when fired. I call this “riding the recoil” rather than trying to hold the muzzle down, you allow it to recoil more but in a controlled way by loosening your grip a little and allowing some flexibility from the elbow (and/or shoulder depending on how heavy the recoil is) forward. Instead of a quick snap back at the wrist (usually toward your face) it’s a controlled upward arc. Once you get that down, you can shoot heavy recoiling guns much longer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
S&W for double action and I like the Redhawk. I don’t like the newer Super Redhawk. I’m sure it’s a great weapon, just looks goofy to me. My brother is the opposite. The Blackhawk is a completely different animal.

I’ve seen guys measure the trigger pull between the Redhawk and the Smith, the Smith is always lighter. In SA, both my 500 magnums had hair triggers, somewhere between 1-1.5lbs. I strongly prefer shooting in SA with a heavy revolver. I’ve only double tapped a gun twice in my life, both times with a 500 magnum. In both cases was a delayed double tap.

In SA, my trigger finger is loose and more easily manipulated. In DA, it’s tight from the heavy trigger. That and the death grip you have on it just to support it and hang on for the recoil. In 2 cases, didn’t get my finger far enough forward in time for the weight of the gun to come back down after the muzzle flip. So instead of a quick TAP, TAP like you see people in videos doing, it’s a TAP, pause, TAP.

While I’m on the subject, @fixitfred mentioned letting the revolver roll up when fired. I call this “riding the recoil” rather than trying to hold the muzzle down, you allow it to recoil more but in a controlled way by loosening your grip a little and allowing some flexibility from the elbow (and/or shoulder depending on how heavy the recoil is) forward. Instead of a quick snap back at the wrist (usually toward your face) it’s a controlled upward arc. Once you get that down, you can shoot heavy recoiling guns much longer.
The Bisley, much like a modern DA revolver, is flatter and less rounded than a SAA, Blackhawk and Vaquero allowing the heel of the hand, arm and shoulder to take some of the recoil from the wrist and fingers. At least the way most people hold them.
I hold the SA lower on the grip than most. My pinky is quite often on the bottom edge of the grip or even under it. That creates a blessing and a curse. It puts the barrel on an axis parallel with my arm and hand and easier to point. But it raises the bore axis farther above my arm giving the recoil more leverage. Allowing the elbow to give upward helps manage the recoil instead of forcing weaker finger and wrist muscles to do it.
Yup, I know. I'm weird.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A lot of people like the Bisley. I don't remember shooting one and I know I've never owned one. I didn't realize the grip was more substantial than the SBH grip. It looks to be more comfortable but one of the first things I did with my SBH is outfit it with Pachmeyers so it's comfortable to shoot. Well as comfortable as a 44 mag goes.
I love the Bisley. I knew the SBH grip was going to be a gamble. It’s not so much that there’s more to hold onto with the Bisley as much as the ergonomics. I just can’t get me mitts on the SBH grip in a comfortable place. Lots of guys replaced the grips on their SBH. If the corners of the grip were a little more rounded it wouldn’t bother my finger as much. I just figured I’d replace it with the Bisley grip since I like it already.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts