National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious about the handle/hammer configuration on this Super Blackhawk 44. I’ve heard the handle is longer on the Super Blackhawks vs the standard SAA handle. Anyone know by how much? Second, has the hammer been lowered? It doesn’t look near as low as the bisley model but I can’t tell from comparing the pics of the Blackhawk if it’s been lowered or just the pic angle.

I’d prefer the bisley model but I can’t find one with the 10.5” barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
It could be a Bisley hammer but like you said it’s tough to compare. The Black Hawk hammer seems to be even with the sights when it down, not on this one. I’m not a fan of the longer barrels. I like the 5.5” or the 4.6”. Have you ever fired a .44 Mag single action? It’s a lot of gun. Your grip won’t be where is was before you pulled the trigger. I find it best to use one hand and let it move with the recoil.
you can’t find a stronger pistol than the Black Hawk.

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
I cannot say regarding the grip, but the hammer is the same as my 40+ year old SBH. MY 10.5“ SBH was my hunting gun for about 15 years. Excellent performance, and the sight radius is beneficial in the field. That barrel is a bit cumbersome, but I always carried in a cross draw shoulder rig; I loved having both hands free when stalking/moving about. The trigger guard on these guns is notorious for giving the unwary shooter some pain, and you will experience some serious pivoting and movement as the gun recoils. Changing the grips will minimize that motion and maximize felt recoil. The SBH is one of Ruger’s finest in my opinion. I only stopped hunting with it when I got a FreedomArms .454 Casull. Now my eyes are not good enough to hunt with irons...I miss those days. :rolleyes:

My old SBH along with a couple other of my favorites from Ruger

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
I love my SBH. Mine has a 7.5 inch barrel. I can hit my steel silhouette target at 100 yards with it.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be a Bisley hammer but like you said it’s tough to compare. The Black Hawk hammer seems to be even with the sights when it down, not on this one. I’m not a fan of the longer barrels. I like the 5.5” or the 4.6”. Have you ever fired a .44 Mag single action? It’s a lot of gun. Your grip won’t be where is was before you pulled the trigger. I find it best to use one hand and let it move with the recoil.
you can’t find a stronger pistol than the Black Hawk.
Yeah, I’ve fired one but it was many, many years ago. Too long ago for me to remember much. My brother had it. He sold it because he didn’t like it as much as he thought he would. I have a pair of Blackhawk Bisleys in 45 Colt 5.5” barrels and in 22 with 6.5” barrels. Love them all.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
no idea......i bought my SBH in the 70's thanks to Dirty Harry......and traded it off for a T/C Contender when i got semi-serious in the silhouette games back in the early 80's.....i just know that the SBH 44 was a bigger frame window and longer grip handle.....and the squared back of the trigger guard stood out to further distinguish it....think they are moving away from that as the SBH line has expanded..

i can not recall the hammer configuration.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I know of one CAS competitor.....he has the bounty hunter revolvers.....he used them hard, and he told me of some minor troubles but servicable as entry level...he wants to upgrade with old model vaqueros when he gets the chance as he is really becoming more involved in the sport..

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No question in my mind, SBH is a superior firearm.
I don’t disagree. SBH would be the standard in my book. It’s structurally superior, stainless won’t wear off like nickel, adjustable sights. It’s got a lot going for it. I’ve heard some good things about the EAA though. I might buy one to evaluate. Not sure. Is it a great gun or a great gun for someone on a budget? That’s the dilemma.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I knew this thread was roaming around out their somewhere. Popped up in my feed. Now that I have both the 45 Blackhawk Bisley and the Super Blackhawk 44, here are some comparison photos.

The guns are built on the same size frame.

The grips are the same length from the bottom of the grip frame to the top of the inside curve, giving you the full grip of the Bisley.

One of the differences (aside from the swept SAA style on the SBH) is how high the Bisley grip frame goes up on the gun’s frame, giving the illusion that the Bisley hammer is much lower than the Super Blackhawk.

The height of the hammer is in fact very close when measured from the inside of the grip frame to the top of the hammer (which dictates how far the reach is). The Blackhawk Bisley is 2.621”, the Super Blackhawk is 2.781” the difference is only ~1/8”.

The cylinders are the same diameter, except the bore. The 45 cylinder won’t go into the 44 because it is a hair longer.

The hammers themselves are similar. The Super Blackhawk hammer is a little wider on the thumb spur, however, when drawn back, they end up in the same place. If you had huge gorilla hands, the Super Blackhawk might give you a bit more room between your thumb and hand due to the top of the grip frame being lower.

Hope this settles some questions between the Super Blackhawk with the square back dragoon grip frame and the Blackhawk Bisley.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
big differences in the hammer.........

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
big differences in the hammer.........
I think one just looks fancier because of the lip on the Bisley that goes from the thumb pad up the back of the hammer. The user experience is virtually the same.

If we compare these 2 to the standard Blackhawk hammer, I think there’s a bigger difference. It’s just an opinion.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I’ve had a chance to go through about 40rds now, I do prefer the Bisley grip on this gun. The swept angle on the grip is the reason. Because the barrel is pretty heavy, with the SBH grip a considerable amount of that weight rests against the inside of my middle finger. Recoil makes it worse. With the Bisley grip, your wrist is at a better angle to support the weight with the heel of your hand. Do that with this gun and you get jabbed with the tail. It’s a leverage issue. Note that I am shooting one handed.

The ammo I’m using is a relatively light load 240gr lead cowboy load. Box says 1100 FPS for about 650lbs of energy. I did not clock them so I have no idea how fast they are moving from this but I bet it’s a bit faster. Very dirty but fun round.

Max took the opportunity to shoot dad’s 1911. Little man got some Rascal .22 action in until they got cold.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing I also noticed was while practicing point and shoot. I’m used to the Bisley so with this gun, I’m shooting right between the head and body at 20 yards. Bullets are literally going right between the head (8” plate) and the body (22” silhouette). 10 shots, didn’t hit either plate once.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered the Bisley grip frame from Midway but it’s back ordered so no telling when I’ll see it. It’ll have to be fitted so I’ll need to find a good smith to do the fitting.

I may see it the existing SBH frame will fit one of the .357’s. If it does, I may order another to match. 357 isn’t as heavy and the extra 1/4 in grip length might be what the doctor ordered.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I took the 45 Colt Bisley out and shot it side by side with the 44 magnum. The magnum loads are 240gr @ 1100 FPS. The 45 Colt loads are 250gr @ 1000 FPS. It’s like night and day. The angle on the 44 puts my hand in such a way that the 90 degree edge of the grip panel is putting all the pressure right behind the knuckle on my middle finger. The new grip frame should cure this.

Try to demonstrate with pictures. On the Bisley, notice where the transformation from 90 degrees along the edge flows into a curved radius.

Where the grip fits the hand. The curve meets the middle finger.

Now the SBH grip. Notice how far back the transition is from 90 degrees to the curved edge.

Now where the grip fits the hand

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I like the way the Bisley shot. The wider flatter grip really helps the recoil. The problem was, because of the grip angle, I did not shoot it well. It did give the idea to get some wider flat heeled grips for a .45 Vaquero that helped with recoil a lot.
My oldest boy, he does shoot the Bisley very well. It is now his.
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts