National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.. I am currently 17 (soon to be 18), anyway when I do turn 18, I'd like to know what I'm looking for. I don't have a whole lot of experience shooting, just a little with my brothers 700, so I'd like something relatively easy to operate with reasonable recoil. Low price is always a bonus, and reasonably priced ammunition would be good too. Also what would be the best place to purchase (whatever your suggestion may be). There is a gun store about and hour from my house, and numerous sporting goods stores closer.. Where's more likely to have a better price? Any information would be great..

P.S. I live in Ohio If that makes any difference as far as regulations and whatnot

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
May I suggest a safety course first , secondly if price is a concern Savage has some great package deals in many different calibers , a place to start looking anyway .
Good luck , and welcome to the forum .

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
First off welcome,

I would recommend that you start off looking for a NRA safety course. That would be very beneficial to your safety and knowledge of guns in general.

Secondly, I would recommend starting off with a 22lr. This will give you some inexpensive trigger time that will allow you to shoot more and get some practice under your belt.

Lots of folks recommend you pick up a Ruger 10/22 which will last you a lifetime of fun.

Lot's of good information on here if you use the search function and look for new to guns or first gun.

Learn the rules of gun safety and remember that safety is your responsibility.

Welcome again and keep safe.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
sounds like you could use a good .22 rimfire rifle.............

a 22 rifle is probably going to be in your inventory sooner or later as they are extremely popular, fun, and certainly cost efficient for the most part along with reasonable ammo costs when compared to centerfire.

many folks.....including me......fire more rimfire ammo than centerfire rifle ammo in their lifetime.

as far as where to buy, the various marts and chain stores usually have the best prices on the most common budget priced rifles......while gun shops tend to offer better over the counter service and more variety/selection in more expensive models that are rarely encountered in the mart stores.

the ruger 10/22 semi auto and ruger American bolt rimfire come to mind amongst others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings.. I am currently 17 (soon to be 18), anyway when I do turn 18, I'd like to know what I'm looking for. I don't have a whole lot of experience shooting, just a little with my brothers 700, so I'd like something relatively easy to operate with reasonable recoil. Low price is always a bonus, and reasonably priced ammunition would be good too. Also what would be the best place to purchase (whatever your suggestion may be). There is a gun store about and hour from my house, and numerous sporting goods stores closer.. Where's more likely to have a better price? Any information would be great..

P.S. I live in Ohio If that makes any difference as far as regulations and whatnot
Agree with the guys here....22lr may be a good start.
There are plenty of choices, thats for sure.
I was going to suggest the Bersa thunder 22, but thats a handgun and I dont think at your age you can buy one yet thanks to our idiot leaders.
Marlin used to be a good 22. Not sure if you can still find them. The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent gun...the wife has the stainless model and loves it.
A good 20 gauge is a decent start. I usually steer new gun owners to the single shot takedown models because they are ultra safe and a lot of fun to hunt with and dont cost much at all...under $200 easy.

Frankly its always good to see young people getting into the gun hobby. Good luck

·
Banned
632 Posts
While you are out buying that .22, pick up a Mosin Nagant. It was the main battle rifle of the Soviet Army for about 70 years. They made about 40 million of them in that 70 years, and a good shooter can be had for about 140 dollars. A can of 440 rounds of surplus ammo will set you back about 90 dollars. These rifles are pretty basic; a 5 shot bolt action that was made to be idiot proof, and delivers a lot of bang for your buck. Just my .02 Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Before you buy a gun, I would figure out what you are going to use it for-plinking, serious target shooting, hunting, etc. For a first gun, I would recommend a good 22 that you can keep for the rest of your life-(I have been meaning to get a 10/22 and still haven't 2 rifles later). A 22 rimfire is the best way to learn the basics and do it fairly cheap. If you really want a centerfire, a 223 is the cheapest and there are some good bolt guns from Ruger, Savage, etc.

But before you do anything,

1. Take a course in Firearm safety
2. Figure out what you are going to use the gun for

As far as buying the gun, look it up on multiple online retailers: (Gander Mtn, Cabela's) and find out a good ballpark price for the gun. The best way to get honest reviews of a certain gun is to go to local gun shops and talk to people

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.