National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a really simple question with a really simple answer. Are folding stocks legal? Iv'e never personally owned one And i have no idea if there's any restrictions, no restrictions, if they're an NFA item or anything. What about a folding stock on a shotgun? Or a pistol grip?

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Up here it's not the same, but as long as your gun doesn't go under a certain length it's legal
Like these are legal here so i'm guessing unless you live somewhere where it's worse than Canada it is legal

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I would check your local laws, somebody in NY might have changed it lastnight.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Used to be we had the worst gun laws (according to gun owners) in the north american continent, but it seems it's no longer the case. We're getting better while some states are surpassing our stup.. herm! Liberalism.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
You can have them in NY but not on semi auto detachable magazine fed guns. On semi auto guns you are only allowed one "evil" accessory. Folding stocks, flash suppressors, bayonets(and lug), detachable mags, forward grips, pistol grips etc. If you have a fixed mag semi auto like an SKS you can have one but i don't think you can have one if it incorporates a pistol grip(not even sure if they make one like that) but you also have to make sure the bayonet lug is removed. Does any of this makes sense to you? It doesn't to me either...If you have a bolt action or pump action have at it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can have them in NY but not on semi auto detachable magazine fed guns. On semi auto guns you are only allowed one "evil" accessory. Folding stocks, flash suppressors, bayonets(and lug), detachable mags, forward grips, pistol grips etc. If you have a fixed mag semi auto like an SKS you can have one but i don't think you can have one if it incorporates a pistol grip(not even sure if they make one like that) but you also have to make sure the bayonet lug is removed. Does any of this makes sense to you? It doesn't to me either...If you have a bolt action or pump action have at it!
Thanks, that cleared out up allot. According to the safe act, a handgun with a threaded barrel is an "assault weapon" in NY and requires extra registration. Can't wait to move out of here. I wanted to put one on a mini 14, I guess I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Oh yeah i forgot threaded barrel. Actually i didn't even think you could have one of those at all, i was unaware of registering them but i imagine you can't do that now like the AR's which had to be done by the deadline unless you get a compliant one. I find it amazing that you can have a rifle but if you add a few cosmetic things to it it magically becomes a "assault weapon"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts