National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to ARs so don’t judge. But how do some people have optics and iron sights on their ARs at the same time? Wouldn’t that obscure sight picture from the optic with the iron sight? Look at the picture below his Irons and optic are on the same sight plane???

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Look up co-witness

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That look like a red dot which just shows a illuminated dot when turned on to aim with. When it's off it's just like looking through a straight tube so you can use sights if lined up with the tube.

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
Speaking of which, my upper came with BUS. My red dot was advertised as being lower 1/3. I couldn't see the BUS. So I bought another rider from Amazon I got today. Now if my red dot goes out, I can use the BUS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the Sig Romeo 7. Does anyone know if this is 1/3 or absolute co witness with A2 height sights?

·
Registered
688 Posts
BUS might be important, if you are a long long way from home. If my optic goes out, I just go to the house, and get another rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I have a variable tactical scope on my AR. I also have the A2 front sight and it can’t be seen in the scope. I took off my pop up rear sight and I even have a carry handle already sighted in ready to be put on. I know I’m not going into battle. I shoot ground hogs and fox/coyotes and wouldn’t need those CCB sights for the most part, ever again. I’m not going to march against some enemy invader.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The only stupid question is the unasked question the way I see it. I myself also learned from this thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
I got rollover BUIS. If the battery goes on the red dot, I just tilt the rifle 1/4 turn and I have sights again. Eliminates the need to remove the red dot in the middle of shooting. Kinda nice, actually.

--Wag--

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
Yes, they're called that from time to time. My red dot has a quick release but still, that takes some time and then you have to store it somewhere safe. Perhaps a pocket is good enough.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Technique is referred to as "Cowitness" shooter has the "OPTION" of using either. Some set Irons for out to say 100 yards and the red dots to exceed 100 depends on shooter weapon capability and personal choice nothing wrong, as the distance changes red dots in picture or it is not, I found it annoying others adapt.

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
I just don't want things sticking out the sides. My light sticks out on the left, they would stick out on the right, how do you lay it down????? Suck a dilemma. Looking through the tube is ok at the range, but in real world, especially in the dark, it's a problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
Mine fold in on the barrel and flip up with a quick release button.

--Wag--

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
Oh yea! Mine flip up, all I need is a couple offset rails. "A;; I need", "All I need", damn money sink. Two or three purchases ago I said I'm done, and every purchase since. And I'm not talking "budget", I'm talking "low budget". A collection of junk. Tomorrow, I'll see how my collection of junk performs. Can't wait.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried the co-witnessing thing, and it drove me crazy. I am just a ham and egger, and far from a Tactical guru, but I couldn't get it to work for me. I ended up selling my retail lower, and buying and building an 80% rifle kit and additional 80% lower for my original upper, and made one with open sights, and one with a 4x scope. Best of both worlds 😉

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just keep a flip-up front post on my AR when I use the red dot. I figure if SHTF and my optics battery dies when I'm away from home, then I can use the optic tube as an impromptu peep sight. I don't use it at the same time as the red dot, though, never saw the point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have a red dot, but I have a Vortex scope and pop-up iron sights on mine. The iron sights are mounted on 45 degree picatinny rails. If that's not for you, I believe you can get a scope mount that sits high and let's you see the iron sights through it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My red Dot sits high enough that I can use the iron sites by looking through the Red Dot mount. I had to add the iron sites since my Ar didn't come with them. But that way I could pick up what I wanted instead of what someone else decided I needed. But I am changing the Red Dot next to something better next.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts