National Gun Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
Hard to tell in the photo but it looks like there isnt a flash hole in that case. If not it would explain no powder burning and the primer popping out. Scrape that carbon away in the center and see if there is a hole there.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
And the "Good Catch" award goes tooooo......

Square Target!

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You are a lucky man and you should save that round to remind you to never shoot anyone else’s reloads! Ever!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but this is what it looks like:
Household hardware Gas Circle Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
That looks like the anvil stuck in there, it's the inner part of the primer. I have never seen a round do that. Is that piece stuck in there? They will often fall out of the primer cup when you remove them from the case but that looks rather odd staying in the case like that. See if you can pop it out and if there is a hole under it.
Food Ingredient Plant Fruit Recipe

Reactions: SFL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I pried it out and there's a hole and powder in there. Not sure why it didn't fire. Maybe there was something blocking the hole that came out with the anvil, or maybe the primer was just a dud. Though I did see smoke come out of the gun when it tried to fire. It looks wet because I only had a steel pick to pry it out with so I pried it under water.

Body jewelry Amber Insect Jewellery Circle

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
I would say the powder was either bad or contaminated. The primer was good because that's what popped the bullet off into your barrel. With a flash hole being present I'm not sure why the primer popped out like it did.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Looking at the pics, I don’t think the bullet ever separated the casing and check out the crimp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Judging by how stuck the casing was, I also think the bullet never left the casing. That said, I'm not sure if the crimp was from the primer expanding the casing or from how hard the guy had to smack it with the rod to get it out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts