National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a live round really really stuck in a Glock 42, pretty sure I'm going to take it to a gunsmith, but I'm curious how often does this happen and what usually does the trick to get them out? This is a newish gun, probably 200 rounds total through it so far. This ammo was bought in a bag from the local gun store (only thing available at the time), it was running just fine until this round, but I don't think I'm going to use this ammo anymore.

Backstory; I was at the range today and about 100 rounds in I get a click and pfft, a little smoke but no bang. So I wait, then try to eject it but the slide is stuck. So I rest the corner of the slide on the wooden bench and give the grip a smack with my hand and the slide pops free, but the round is still stuck in the chamber. The ejector pulled past the edge of the casing. One of the pros at the range came over with a hollow aluminum rod and tapped it against the bench a few times but it didn't budge and he didn't want to hit it any harder, and I didn't either. So it's really really stuck in there. With the slide back I can see that the primer fell out, but no way to know if there's powder in the casing or not. Has anyone got experience with a round this stuck?

·
Aim true !
12,290 Posts
Steve gave you the tools needed. Run some oil down the bore. Let it soak in some. Then proceed to drive the squib out. Been there done that myself.

·
Salmon Slayer
401 Posts
If the primer fell out you can tap the barrel to see if any powder comes out of the flash hole, bets are there is none or the primer was bad.
If you feel confident enough to do this then follow these steps.
As mentioned before, spray some penetrating oil down the muzzle end of the barrel, let it sit for an hour or so unless it leaks out the bottom. Then, with the barrel out of the slide, wrap with thick leather belt, place firmly in a vice with chamber end down. Then tap the wooden dowel till the bullet and case drop out. I would position a trashcan of some sort underneath just incase there is powder in the case as not to make a mess.
Good luck.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I would break the pistol down so you can have the barrel free. That should give you a better look at the stuck round. It's possible it didn't have any powder. Sounds to me like it wasn't sized or even loaded properly.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
It's not a live round if it Pffted and the primer fell out. Follow the above outlined procedures and clean the pistol.

Alan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Is it worth trying to get some water into the casing through the primer hole just to be double safe? I might try that. Assuming there is powder in there, I know the odds of setting it off without a primer are very low, but it still makes me nervous. ;)

·
Aim true !
12,290 Posts
Remove the barrel like suggested. The round won't go off when driving it out. If you feel safer by watering down the powder. Use a dropper to get it through the flash hole. There probably is no powder. Thus the reason it didn't fire proper.

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Once you get the barrel off you can drop the whole thing in the water if it makes you feel better. If it goes off (without the water bath) with the above stated procedure you will have inadvertently discovered a new and improved method of ignition without a primer. Please report back if that happens. Even if it does happen to miraculously ignite all the gas will escape harmlessly through the flash hole. Get a dang dowel and drive the dang bullet out of the barrel and clean the barrel and chamber. Then don't shoot "Bags" of cheap ammo from the local store unless you take your dowel and hammer to the range with you.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Actually, thinking about it a a bit more, you are probably lucky the round did not cycle and eject the case. You could have chambered another "LIVE" round and then you wouldn't be having this conversation but rather one about seeing your pistol in an exploded view.....

Alan

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
Actually, thinking about it a a bit more, you are probably lucky the round did not cycle and eject the case. You could have chambered another "LIVE" round and then you wouldn't be having this conversation but rather one about seeing your pistol in an exploded view.....

Alan
So true. It was most likely a "squib" round.

·
Salmon Slayer
401 Posts

Alan
Indeed, one must pay close attention to each round, especially if they are using unpackaged ammunition.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
And just because this conversation has gone this far.... If, you ever have any (ANY) doubts about whether or not the primer fired or the powder burned and you cannot get the action open,.... DO NOT try to drive the bullet/case/action open with a dowel rod in the muzzle. That is a whole different situation from what you're in right now.

Alan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My apprehension to smacking it myself comes from my lack of education about the gunpowder used. Specifically, can it be ignited by compression, such as the powder in the primers or in the caps in our toy guns as kids? Or can it only be ignited by spark?

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
My apprehension to smacking it myself comes from my lack of education about the gunpowder used. Specifically, can it be ignited by compression, such as the powder in the primers or in the caps in our toy guns as kids? Or can it only be ignited by spark?
You're not going to ignite it, smack away. Use wood, brass or aluminum to avoid spark AND to avoid damage to your barrel. Also i should note is most squibs are the result of no powder or contaminated powder. if it was going to go off it would have with the primer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took it to the gun shop and let them remove it, the guy smacked it pretty good with a rod and here's what came out. I suspect some of the wrinkles in the case are from ramming it out. I tried to pull the bullet out to see if there was powder in there but I couldn't get it out using 2 pair of pliers (pictures are from before I used the pliers). The bullet rotates freely but the crimps in the case are holding it in good. The chunk missing on the rim is from the extractor on the gun.

Product Amber Wood Cylinder Musical instrument

Body jewelry Jewellery Button Font Circle

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool -- glad it came out for you. Guess the gunsmith thought like most folks, "it's just a .380 and they're not powerful for self defense".

Yes, I own a 42 and no, it's never happened to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts