National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
All that means is they could have watched some youtube gun training videos. Do you hold your rifle like that? Were you trained by the military?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I see a lot more with their fingers on the trigger and wonder how many accidents they've had.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I had my 5 y/o granddaughter with me last weekend. She brought her nerf gun with most of the darts missing except one. Big surprise right but that's another story.

We covered basic gun safety with a real firearm previously. I secure most of my guns when she visits but she may encounter a loaded firearm so I had to cover what it may look like and that she should leave it alone and notify an adult. She picked up a fear of firearms somewhere that I'm working on breaking her of and replacing it with a healthy respect. She has no fear of a nerf gun however. The nerf trigger is real heavy and not much chance or an accidental or negligent discharge but I took the opportunity to teach her how to lay her finger besides the trigger until she's ready to shoot. We did some drills and she responded well to the training. Only time will tell how the lessons took but they'll be reinforced along the way. We covered the basics of gun safety but wasn't sure how much fun a nerf gun can really be if you don't point it at people and shoot them. I'm pretty sure she went home and shot at people and the dog but hopefully when the time comes to shoot real guns she'll be able to differentiate how to treat real guns vs toy guns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts