National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Aim true !
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to keep my cricket in the soft case it came with. So it don't get banged up in the safe. Im concerned about rust forming. Or does the soft cases breath enough?

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Personally i wouldnt do it. I have seen a lot of rusty guns emerge from soft cases and hard cases with foam. Even seen a few from short periods of time where they were put away and not wiped down or they had them out on a damp day etc.The only type of case i have seen guns stored for prolonged periods of time without damage are the hard O/U type shotgun cases. Not sure if it's the different liners, more air space or what but they seem to do much better in those. I actually keep mine in them but i also open them occasionally and wipe them

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,179 Posts
Don’t know that I would store it in a soft case either.
I have my cricket tucked into the back corner of the safe. It’s so small that it doesn’t really get in the way. I forget it’s there most of the time.

· Super Moderator
16,606 Posts
If you want your guns to rust, store then in cases.

I recently removed a Midas Grade Browning Superposed from a hard case where it had been fur at least twenty five years. That type of shotgun should not ever depreciate in value... That one had...

Alan

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

· Super Moderator
16,606 Posts
Fortunately (and unfortunately) the gun was not mine.

Alan

Reactions: Wag

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Wipe it down with some oil, place it in a silicone sock, and use a Golden Rod or box of desiccant and you'll have no worries. 17 years in hot and humid Florida that way and zero issues

Reactions: Speed

· Aim true !
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes always wipe down before putting away. I even wipe down my parkerized and cerakote and stainless guns. And i have these in my safes. There a buck at dollar tree.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
My desiccants are the kind you reheat in the oven to dry out, plus one you plug in to dry out; I have used them for decades cheap rust prevention insurance.

Reactions: Coalcracker

· Registered
8,425 Posts
IIRC, they are all from the same company,. just branded for each retailer; mine says Cabelas on it; they run ~ $25.00 or so; you plug them in for about 10 hours to get them to change color and dry out

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Yes always wipe down before putting away. I even wipe down my parkerized and cerakote and stainless guns. And i have these in my safes. There a buck at dollar tree.
View attachment 115106

I have a lot of stock in Dollar Tree (DLTR) keep it up.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
I have a couple plugins, Eva Dry, they claim 500 cubic ft each but in the summertime it seems they always need recharging. I have a goldenrod too. I try to keep it around 50%rh.

Keeping guns in cases is not a good idea. I had a pistol rug but kept it unzipped for ventilation.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,179 Posts
Wipe it down with some oil, place it in a silicone sock, and use a Golden Rod or box of desiccant and you'll have no worries. 17 years in hot and humid Florida that way and zero issues
I have a goldenrod in my safe along with a little weather station.
Safe is almost always 73* and 35% humidity.
You want some humidity in your safe for your wood stocks.
You can pick up a little temp/humidly gauge from amazon for around $10
ThermoPro TP50 Digital Hygrometer

· Super Moderator
16,606 Posts
I use golden rods and the plug in recharge type desiccants. For whatever reasons, at the other house, I had to remove everything from a safe wipe down the inside with mold/mildew killer then wipe down al the guns and stocks about every three months to keep that white mold stuff from growing. I don't put any leather slings or holsters in the safe. At this house I haven't had a single issue with anything I just keep the golden rods plugged in and the desiccants recharged.

Alan

· Registered
396 Posts
I don't have any soft cases, but I've been storing my guns in hard cases with foam for years and haven't had any issues with rust. Granted, I take them out, even if they haven't been fired, to clean, oil, and inspect them a couple times a year. I also make sure any guns expected to go unused are well-oiled before storing them.

The only gun I had any rust form on was left exposed on a wall rack (not my doing, someone else decided they'd use my gun as a wall ornament).

EDIT: not saying you should do it, just saying that's what I do. If I had a proper gun safe I wouldn't bother with cases.

Reactions: Randy

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
My 20ga Red Label had to bereblued because of a hard case and my stupidity. It was put in the case after hunting and it was just the slightest flurries falling. I forgot all about it and took it out the next week for hunting. Yup stupid! Lazy and buying a reblue job.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
think it depends a lot on your house/location/humidity......

i have had some heartache in my youth from soft cases and gun storage......keep them oiled.

have gone to silicone cases now from midway......got a riot gun style for the shotgun in the pickup and a pistol style one for the ruger....

...they are working out well for the truck guns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.