National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys please be informed and if possible contact your congressman. This should not happen. Read what happened in Australia in 1996 and you will see IT MIGHT HAPPEN HERE.

"In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices"

Link to her website.

She probably is not the person who should be contacted but your congressman and may be even senator definitely should.

God bless us all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have sent a message to both state and federal congressmen. I got an immediate reply from my state congressman and he supported the position, but never heard from my federal congressman. I would encourage everyone to speak up, even if you think it will do no good. I guarantee not speaking up will do no good!

Here is what I said.

==============================================================================================

We are all shocked and saddened by the terrible killings in Newtown. My wife and I are still struggling to cope with it. And as a parent of young children, I can't imagine what those poor children experienced, and what their parents and families are going through now. It is very hard to deal with even a week later. We think about it constantly.

But contrary to what we are hearing in the media and by the liberals in government, the true root cause of what happened in Newtown was that young man was very disturbed, and he had evil in his heart. The fact he used guns to carry out his evil act is really not relevant. They were tools, not unlike a knife or any other weapon. If he chose, he could have used a car to harm and kill.

I would ask that you help your colleagues to think clearly once they have worked through their emotional response. There is much talk about gun control and the elimination of certain weapons. Some would like to see the elimination of all weapons. While I think there is more to do to ensure guns don't get in the wrong hands, no matter what is done tragedies like Newtown won't be avoided by gun control. He did not buy those weapons. And I believe that most gun crimes are committed by people who don't own the gun legally. Responsible people who buy guns legally are not the problem. Semi-automatic handguns are not the problem. Bad people are the problem.

We all know there are a lot of mentally sick people out there. There always has been and always will be. They will find a way to do what they do, with or without tougher gun control. But having said that, nation wide we could do more thorough background checks, similar to Illinois where we must apply for a FOID card and have a criminal background check completed before we can buy a gun or ammunition. But what we cannot do is infringe on our 2nd Amendment right in response to the small percentage of tragedies committed by really bad people. The city of Chicago is a perfect example of tougher gun control, and yet there is more gun crimes than any other city.

Please influence your peers and our federal government leaders to do the right thing that gets at the root of the problem, and that is how to identify and help very those very troubled people before they act. There were signs in this case, much like there have been with others in the past. We need to act on those signs, not the instruments used by those deranged individuals.

Thanks in advance for the work you will do to ensure we have the right laws and focus in place, as well as in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

I hope you and your family are able to appreciate what we all have and enjoy the rest of the holiday season.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Most excellent!

Now, write, call or email them twice a week. Don't let up. Stay on them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you. I will also email my state senators. They probably can not change much on the federal level but at least message will resonate further.

And btw bellow is my message. Feel free to copy/paste if you find it useful

Message Subject: Second Amendment
Message Text:
Dear congressman XXX YYY I know you are busy by many different things that include fiscal cliff crisis and its impact on Pennsylvanian citizens, but may I ask you to become concern about dangerous situation that appeared in senate after senator Dianne Feinstein had decided to introduce a bill to effectively ban certain gun ownership in our country.

It sounds as a very dangerous trend because it means that we, American people, should sacrifice our constitutional rights because of the crime we have not committed. None of us has anything to do with the recent gun violence but senator Feinstein wants to make us responsible for it - us, American people. Owning firearms is our constitutional right and it should not be violated even partially as senator Feinstein suggested by taking more than 900 particular firearms from the list that is currently allowed. She also wants to fingerprint existing owners.

XXX, you are our congressman. You are the only person who we can trust, and who we hope can stop this horrible practice of punishing innocent people for somebody else crimes. We have not done anything wrong with the firearms. The person who committed the recent school massacre is already dead. We should not lose our rights because of him.

Thank you for reading this email. God bless you and your family. Have a wonderful new year. With a big respect, your supporter and person who always voted for you - (me)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done. I hadn't sent messages to Senators, only Congress. I have taken pieces of several well written messages to send a message to my Senator from Illinois. It is a bit lengthy, but that's usually how they communicate too. :)

I am copying the message in the event anyone would like to copy or use parts for their own messages. Let's make sure our voice as Citizens of the United States of America are heard.

==============================================================================================

Dear Senator ---,

We are all shocked and saddened by the terrible killings in Newtown, CT. My wife and I are still struggling to cope with it. And as a parent of young children, I can't imagine what those poor children experienced, and what their parents and families are going through now. It is very hard to deal with even now. We still think about it constantly.

But contrary to what we are hearing in the media and by the liberal leadership in our Government, the true root cause of what happened in Newtown was that this young man was very disturbed, and he had evil in his heart. The fact he used guns to carry out his evil act is really not relevant. They were tools, not unlike a knife or any other weapon. If he chose, he could have used a car to harm and kill. The sick man in NY that killed the brave Firemen last week had also killed previously, using a hammer, and should never have been let out of Prison. We must deal with these sick people, not the weapons they choose to use to do their evil deeds. They will always find a way, if we let them, whether it be by gun or by hammer.

Since these tragedies have occurred, Senator Dianne Feinstein has decided to introduce a bill to effectively ban certain gun ownership in our country, and in doing so would violate our Constitutional right to bear arms. In fact, Senator Feinstein and others would like to see the elimination of all weapons. The American people as a whole should not be punished, or stripped of our Constitutional rights, because of a very small percentage of very sick individuals.

While I think there is more that can be done to ensure guns don't get in the wrong hands, no matter what, unfortunate tragedies like the Newtown killings won't be avoided by gun control. Most gun crimes are committed by people who don't own the gun legally. Responsible people who buy guns legally are not the problem. Semi-automatic handguns are not the problem. Hammers are not the problem. Bad people are the problem.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of mentally sick people out there. There always have been and there always will be. And they will find a way to do what they do, with or without tougher gun control. But having said that, nation wide we could do more to keep guns out of the wrong hands, similar to Illinois where we must apply for a FOID card and have a criminal background check completed before we can buy a gun or ammunition.

But we must not infringe on our 2nd Amendment right in response to the small percentage of tragedies committed by really bad people. The city of Chicago is a perfect example of having very strict gun control, and yet there are more gun crimes than any other city. In fact, murder #500 occurred just this week in Chicago. In the UK, after a school massacre in 1998, the country banned handguns. A decade later, handgun crime has doubled. .

I implore you to please influence your peers in the Senate, and other federal government leaders, to focus on the right thing that gets at the root of the problem, and that is how to identify and help those very troubled people before they act. There were signs in each of the two cases above, much like there have been signs with other violent crimes in the past. We need to act on those signs, not the instruments used by those deranged individuals.

I thank you for listening and for the work I hope you will do to ensure we have the right laws and focus' in place, as well as in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights as citizens of the United States of America.

God Bless you for your representation of the people of Illinois. I hope you appreciate what we all have, and may you and your family have a happy and prosperous New Year.

Sincerely,

---

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have written both my Alabama Senators and all of our congressmen to state my opinion on gun control. I have even sent a certified registered letter to President Obama that requires he signs for the letter himself, I don't believe he will, to state my opinion. I feel that email is just over looked but maybe going the extra step would help. It would help I think if everyone would send a letter that way protesting our rights being step on so easy. This is history repeating itself and most gun owners understand once they take a few guns they will want more until they have taken them all. This time there will not be a date when the ban will go away. And for the first time ever the Government will know who has guns and what kind. That is the plan to know who owns a gun so they can come get them or put you in jail for not having it when they come to collect them all. Next they will take the right to free speech and start burning books they don't agree. Then they do away with all our rights and next thing you know we have a Supreme Leader. Sounds crazy, it has happen before and it will happen again. I have never seen anytime in history a country where what is going on here in the US did not led to oppression of the population.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I so agree with USA Shark when he stated that "Bad people are the problem". We have a Mental Health problem in this country and that is were the change needs to be made. I have know problem with background checks on ALL gun sales no matter were they are purchased. But, we know the real problem has to be fixed. All the mass murders in schools has been by under age 25 yr olds as with most mass murders who all had mental health problems or signs of mental health issues. We as gun owners need to get the focus of the fight away from bans on guns and make it a focus on the real problem and place restrictions on the group that has caused the most problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If mental problem is really an issue then why not make it mandatory to sell each firearm with electronically controlled case that can be activated by fingerprints or a complex electronic key combination that has to be updated for example once in a month. I am ready to suffer trough a pain of buying a 200$ case for each new firearm if it adds to security of the general public. It would be understandable. If issue is safety let address it trough the safety measures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It doesn't have to be a long letter. Just a short paragraph telling them that you expect them to support the Constitution of the United States and all its amendments, especially--in this case--the Second...and that you disagree strongly with panic legislation that will have no effect on violent crime.

Don't write to legislators outside your state or to your state legislature because this issue will be decided in Washington. Write to your state senators and US representatives. They are the ones who want your vote. Just my 2c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts