National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo.... I will admit that this was not a gun I was on the hunt for. In fact, I went in for a 9mm 1911 or a .40 S&W subcompact. I ended up getting the .40 as well as the Stoeger. I knew what I wanted when I walked up to the counter but I saw this Stoeger at the end of the case for $299. So I asked to look at it too.

When I first saw it, I thought it resembled the S&W SD9. I’m going to use this as a comparison because not only do they look similar, the SD9 has a tag of $289. The SD9 I found uncomfortable due to the texture in the backstrap. I had the prejudice in mind when I picked up the Stoeger. At first I thought the texture in the backstrap was a bit aggressive but after a few seconds it was like I didn’t notice it. Again, I think it was some predetermined prejudice.

For my first impressions, wow, I can’t believe this thing is only $299. It may resemble in looks to the SD9 but the build quality sets them apart. Slide was smooth, solid stainless steel guide rod, THREE 15rd stainless mags, 3 interchangeable backstraps and they tossed in el cheapo mag loader (very flimsy). The barrel was nice and thick walled, not what I’d consider bull barrel but it was considerably thicker in the walls than the M&P .40 I bought with it. I didn’t mess with it too much but I’ll have to figure out how it disassembles. At first glance it kind of looks like the takedown on the SD9 or the Taurus’ takedown on the G2C.

Mag release was very smooth. I can easily flip it with my index finger when holding it with my left hand (it took 2 hands and a lot of pressure on the Smith). The mag release was one that appears to be interchangeable for left handed shooters. Overall, it was just better built in every way over the Smith and Wesson offering. I can’t wait to see if it shoots as well as it appears to be built. My only reservation is the feed ramp. While smooth, the angle is very steep. My money says it may have issues with flat point or hp bullets but we will see. I have some Sig defense rounds I’ll try in it. The front of the grip has finger grooves and has a texture much like the Springfield XD Mod 2. Very comfortable.

My brother bought both, the M&P .40 S&W and the Stoeger STR-9 just like I did. That’ll make the review a little better with 2 of each to test for consistency.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My brother came out and brought his SD40 out. I must have not shot the SD before because I don’t recall the trigger being that heavy. It surprised me since the 5 M&P Shields that I have all have a nice crisp trigger. It’s one of the things, IMO, S&W does right. For their price range, I have to admit, one of the better triggers in an out of the box config. The SD he brought out, not so much. The M&P .45 Shield subcompact was crisp as expected.

He had mentioned that the stippling does make the palm of his hand a little sore if he shoots it very long. If you are reading this, our definition of very long may be different than yours. Today we sent over 1,000rds down range over the course of about 2-1/2 hours. The 40 is throwing down a bit more power than the 9mm so I’m going to have him bring out the SD9 when we shoot the STR-9.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i think stoeger's biggest problem is distribution......rarely see them in shops

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I`d like wrap my digits around one these for sure, Unknown as they are shame really Stoeger has some great ones

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I paid this one off this morning so I figure a week and the commies will clear me to take it home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts