National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people like to shoot off their weapons on the 4th. I for one cannot do that. I couldn't imagine shooting up into the air and not knowing where my bullet is going.

What do you guys think?

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
Its not for me..maybe if I lived on a farm or something where I wouldnt have to worry about where the lead was going. My biggest problem however is that there is usually alcohol involved in these little celebrations too. Alcohol + firearms = bad idea, keep it at one or the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shooting up in the air is just plain stupid. Now, shooting into a proper backstop to celebrate the 4th is another thing.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Mythbusters did a show on this.

WHILE STILL DANGEROUS, a bullet fires into the air reaches a falling terminal velocity of about 100/feet per second, and falls on its side, not straight down.

While this speed is way less than muzzle velocity, being hit on the head by any hard object traveling at 100 mph is still potentially lethal.

Yeh, it's a dumb and dangerous thing to do.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Had a guy killed over in Orlando last year from that. The police got the idiot that did it and now he's doing time. Sad that the gene pool is that weak. :(

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Don't think I ever did that. Very dangerous and illegal in most urban areas.

Always wondered how many in the middle east die this way since you see them shooting AK's in the air by the hundreds as a way of demonstrating. Must kill many innocent children and others.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not to mention its crazy illegal to do that.

Personally, the only shooting id do on the fourt is mortars, and my 22 into a target. But i didnt go with the 22. Im low on subsonic rounds.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Mythbusters did a show on this.

WHILE STILL DANGEROUS, a bullet fires into the air reaches a falling terminal velocity of about 100/feet per second, and falls on its side, not straight down.

While this speed is way less than muzzle velocity, being hit on the head by any hard object traveling at 100 mph is still potentially lethal.

Yeh, it's a dumb and dangerous thing to do.

You bet it is. About three or four years ago, someone shot up in the air on New Years Eve, the bullet can back, hit a 4 year old girl in the head and killed her.

I lived in rural New Mexico a bunch of years back. Yes we shot into the air on holidays, but it was always angled toward about six square miles of nothing but scrub, bajada and desert.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
You bet it is. About three or four years ago, someone shot up in the air on New Years Eve, the bullet can back, hit a 4 year old girl in the head and killed her.

I lived in rural New Mexico a bunch of years back. Yes we shot into the air on holidays, but it was always angled toward about six square miles of nothing but scrub, bajada and desert.

Or............if you are close to the border you could always aim that direction.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
We live in URBAN New Mexico (or at least the closest thing to it). Again this year the local news reported on a couple of folks who were watching fireworks from their car, on a city street (Albuquerque), and sure as hell, a bullet came through the roof of their vehicle, right between the two front-seat passengers.

We live at the edge of the desert. I have found hundreds of .22 cases and many center-fires as well, well within range of our house. I found a .300 WM less than 1/3 of a mile from our house. Used to be on the weekends, it sounded like a battlefield around here. It's gotten a bit better but not on holidays.

I don't raise a lot of hell with the folks and their fireworks, even the ones that may not be completely legal. I'll raise bloody hell for those morons shooting firearms in the air on Cinco de Mayo, 4th of July and New Years. I'm a New Mexico boy through and through and I don't give a rip if it's a "tradition". For me, staying alive has been a tradition for well over 50 years!

OBTW, I'm a big Mythbusters fan, but they BLEW the "shooting in the air" segment. They even had to admit that when they had ER MDs talking about treating victims of that "implausible" occurrence. I know it's been documented both here and in the Southern part of the state, where I grew up.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I saw a program on Discovery Channel a time ago where they did testing on the type of pistol Booth used to shoot Lincoln. The question was did the shot kill the President or did the doctors kill him with all their probing of the wound. The pistol Booth used was a small vest pocket black powder derringer (don't remember the caliber). The muzzle velocity of the round was 250 ft/sec. The show concluded that the pistol did in fact have sufficient energy to produce a serious wound, and Lincoln more than likely died from brain swelling due to the trauma.

Now going back to that poor child I mentioned in my earlier post. We have a 9mm 147 grain bullet traveling at 300 fps striking the child in the head. No strong adult bone structure to absorb the energy, the bullet would and did kill her. And if it struck an adult in the head, the falling bullet can very well be lethal.

I watch the Mythbusters. They have plenty of problems with some of their "tests". But they are close most of the time. The point that is never brought out is that they never really do recreate the event tested exactly. Too many variables. It is entertaining, bit no one should take what they say as gospel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts