National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want your advice on which shotgun i should buy which brand is better i was told stevens is made in china and ATI is made in the us in south carolina , theses are the only two brands i have to choose from . thank you in advanceho

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Stevens gets my vote.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
no idea which is better........they are both imported re-brand guns and not made by savage/stevens nor ATI.

give a choice, i would prefer the stevens as it is a more traditional hinge design and savage/stevens has been in business a long time, a good reputation, and therefore probably the better source for warranty, customer service, and parts if required.

i know nothing much of ATI other than they are an importer.

and i would find a different gun dealer for a broader selection.....less you are absolutely loyal or dependent on your current one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Both guns are made in Turkey, which is fine as the Turks can make a good shotgun, although at this price point, I would definitely recommend the Stevens because if anything goes wrong, you want to be dealing with Savage Customer Service.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
You know you can buy any gun on line and have it shipped to your dealer. There are auction sites which feature new and used of just about every brand ever made. I’ve bought 7 shotguns that way. All at real deal prices.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before you get the cart too far a head of the horse...

What is the intended use of said Stevens or ATI shot gun?

Skeet, trap, sporting clays?
Hunting? (Duck/goose, pheasant, dove, patridge/chukkar wood cock, turkey, rabbit, coyote? Deer?
Home defense?

The reason I ask, is the observation that your ammo bill could easily be greater than the cost of the gun. You seem to be $$ aware, and would not want to contribute to encouraging you to buy a gun that might not be what you really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you get the cart too far a head of the horse...

What is the intended use of said Stevens or ATI shot gun?

Skeet, trap, sporting clays?
Hunting? (Duck/goose, pheasant, dove, patridge/chukkar wood cock, turkey, rabbit, coyote? Deer?
Home defense?

The reason I ask, is the observation that your ammo bill could easily be greater than the cost of the gun. You seem to be $$ aware, and would not want to contribute to encouraging you to buy a gun that might not be what you really need.

home defense

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
How about a stevens 320 security then? This is my home defense gun. 12 ga pump.
28238157_293375021190949_5781987980115867409_o.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the 320 idea. Just because if I have to shoot, I’m assuming I need to be ready for number 2.

If you get bump rushed the first person absorbs the whole load. Can you reload fast enough defend against a second rusher?

Coalcrackers suggestion is solid.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
I grabbed a 100 pack of 12 ga target rounds tonight at walmart. Going to take the stevens out and blow the cobwebs out lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So the answers that I would have said not Stevens or ATI, would have been I’m going to shoot one of the clay games. Most the games are 2 rounds loaded, plus you’d be pushing so many round shot is hard on field guns.
They be fine choices for hunting and home defense if you are ok with reloading after 1 shot. If you lived in a neighborhood where 3 or more might be working as a group, you’d need a semi or pump of some sort for self defense.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
just don't know much about the folding design......but the Turks do make some decent quality guns........

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 301 series of break-action shotguns is manufactured for Savage Arms by Sun City Machinery Co. in China
My mistake. I wrongly said they were both made in Turkey.

I would try to find a used H&R or get a Henry. Nothing from China anymore unless there's no other option and I still wouldn't want to deal with ATI customer service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts