National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not fancy, nor does it have all the bells and whistles but the stevens is a good bargin and will bring home the bacon!

The 30-06 is an old line bullet and will take the fight out of most north american critters! Its about all you need for hunting in this country. I wonder if others have found this rifle to be accurate and the bargin that I do?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well the .30-06 is 101 years old! has a very solid reputation for any big game on the north american continent. first developed in 1906. was used a military cartridge, developed by springfield which at the time was the U.S. military armourer. still the most popular moose cartridge here in ontario. it's a great bargin to be chambered in good used rifle for anyone, beginner to veteran.the stevens may not have all the bells and whistles , but in a .30-06 it's all the rifle anyone would ever need for anything. if you can find some stories by the late Jack O'Conner, the shooting editor for outdoor life magazine for many years, you may even read about some of the kills, the .30-06 made on safari in africa!!! pblsyd p.s. ive got one to. rem. model 7600

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
pblsyd said:
well the .30-06 is 101 years old! has a very solid reputation for any big game on the north american continent. first developed in 1906. was used a military cartridge, developed by springfield which at the time was the U.S. military armourer. still the most popular moose cartridge here in ontario. it's a great bargin to be chambered in good used rifle for anyone, beginner to veteran.the stevens may not have all the bells and whistles , but in a .30-06 it's all the rifle anyone would ever need for anything. if you can find some stories by the late Jack O'Conner, the shooting editor for outdoor life magazine for many years, you may even read about some of the kills, the .30-06 made on safari in africa!!! pblsyd p.s. ive got one to. rem. model 7600
Remington 7600, excuse my ignorance, but is that a pump model?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes sir the rem.7600 is a pump preceded by the 760 and the 76. lighter than a semiauto and cheaper to. pblsyd

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
pblsyd said:
yes sir the rem.7600 is a pump preceded by the 760 and the 76. lighter than a semiauto and cheaper to. pblsyd
Those were sweet rifles!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey cool, I have a 7600 and love it all to pieces. Quick shooter and pretty accurate to boot.
The stevens models are every bit as accurate as my more expensive savage ( or course they are being pretty well the same gun , just dressed down a little.)
I think if I had my time back I would have spent less money on a stevens and had more money for a better scope or more premium bullets. I have shot a stevens in .30-06 and dont find it much different than my savage model 116 stainless. definately it is as accurate. same barrel ETC.
They are what I call a diamond in the rough
good buy there

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've got a Savage 111FC (modified) .30-06 bolt action. That thing is capable of putting every round in the same hole if I take my time. Those 180 grain Federal VitalShok rounds sure hurt like a mo-fo, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts