National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for grip recommendations for a pair of stainless Springfield Garrisons. Stainless guns are hard to buy for. most grips look good on black. Not so much on stainless. Just not a big fan of the factory grips on these. Constraints are $100 or less and no rubber grips.

The gun:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I probably shouldn't have but... I bought a set of Pewter grips because I want to see what they look like on it. That and I kinda like these patriotic sort of novelty grips. The ones I bought are ambi grips so they will work on the loaded if I want to put them there.

In my opinion, Springfield 1911's are not real flashy, at least, not the ones I am buying. Nice looking but not high luster, aggressive matte finish where its applied. That's one of the things that is appealing to me. When I pick one up, it just feels different. I can't put my finger on what it is. It just feels like a heavy duty, no frills, no BS, get it done kind of gun. Almost an industrial feel to it. I am hoping these will look OK on it. There is a picture below of a different set I pulled off a 1911 sight. The finish on that gun is a little different but close enough to give me an idea.
Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Tin can Finger

I will probably be ordering a set of these too. Much like the theme I applied to the Kimbers, I think a theme might be kinda cool on the Springfields. A pewter grip theme I guess. I have found a few different designs. I'll test the waters, see what it looks like in person.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actual pics of the ones I received. They need a little work but not a lot.

The thumb safety on the Garrison has a downward hook at the end that is contacting the grip. Need to shave a touch off the top there.

I think maybe thin grip bushings are needed on the Loaded. Doesn’t tighten enough, rattles a little. The Garrison has thin grip bushings.

Both grips, the mag release relief on the right side isn’t in the right spot. Can’t push the mag release in. I will have to relieve that area just a little. They are just slightly under the grip.

Wife likes them. I think I do too. I don’t think the 9-11 grips look as good on the Garrison as the Skulls do. I’ll need another set for the 9mm Garrison when it comes back. I wanted a set of the 2nd Amendment grips I posted above but I can only find a damaged set on eBay.

Air gun Trigger Mammal Grey Gun barrel

Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Font Artifact Metal Trigger

Guitar accessory Wood Font String instrument accessory Nickel

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I like the “remember 9-11” side… but not the skull side

that‘s just me

the finish is a good choice for that Springfield… well done

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up filing down the grip bushings on the Loaded. I tried heat but those suckers weren’t moving. Peeled the side off of one of them with the pressure from the screwdriver. I filled them down just far enough that the 9-11 grips didn’t rattle.

The skull grips on the Garrison worked fine. Already had thin grip bushings.

I need ideas for these now. There are two of them. Problem with these are that they have oversized controls. A lot of grips won’t fit without modifications unless they are low cut and made for oversized controls.

Air gun Trigger Sunglasses Bag Gun barrel

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I like them… could you please photo shop them on to the MA so we could see what they would look like? :)

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I like them… could you please photo shop them on to the MA so we could see what they would look like? :)
had to check… here’s my rendition

I don’t like the white oak on the shiny stainless

that’s just me

but I love the grips… just not on this gun
Product Sunglasses Revolver Air gun Trigger

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also like these along those flag lines…
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bird Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Accipitridae

I have Tung oil I could use to touch up the walnut on the above. $40/set. Downside is,no magwell version.

I could also install a set of navy blue G10s. Easy to sand down and will allow me to install the magwells while I maul over the permanent grips. $22/set + $55/msh-magwell like I installed on the Kimbers.
Air gun Everyday carry Grey Eyewear Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 36 Posts