National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visit Doug Wilson up at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville OR and he will show you one of these close up and personal.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That, my friend, is one helluva plane. I guess that spy satellites orbiting earth and unmanned drones in the air make this jet obsolete. The Blackbird is '60s technology, I wonder what's in the air now?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
It still amazes me that this airplane, designed with sliderules and peoples' brains, still holds many records after >40 years. This thing could outfly a SAM9 missile (and did so several times) and contained the 1973 Arab - Israeli war when Nixon decided that he would share intel with BOTH sides, thus leveling the playing field. The Soviets hated it and not one SR-71 was ever shot down. They're just too expensive to fly, but satellites can't match the data they could gather.
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/sr-71~1.htm

·
Registered
179 Posts
I saw a few of them taking off and landing when I was stationed in California in the early 70s. Awesome airplane. The U-2s are cool as hell also.

G

·
My oldest son is a civilian contractor working on military computer projects. :geek: He has worked on Robins AFB GA, a maintenance base, for so long now he can recognize a plane by the sound of it taking off and landing. He says only one U 2 ever came in- but when it took off it was a sound like no other. Everybody stopped work; "what the hell was that?" Those near enough to a door (250,000 sf building) ran outside to watch.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug Wilson said:
Everyone is invited for a complementary tour of the museum. Let me know when you would like to visit - no charge.

http://www.sprucegoose.com

Doug
That is an offer you should accept, its quite a place and has a wealth of quality aircraft to see. You can go into the sprucegoose and also a B-17 G model. Takes you back to another time in history.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Wow! I was just looking on the museum's website -- SweeeeT! Don't know when I'll be in OR next, but I'll sure do my best to get there!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Now you sound like both me and my wife. We figure we need to get a whole lot better to die.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts