National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the real deal on eating squirrel? I've been hunting over 30 years, and have seen many shootable fair game squirrels, but could never settle with the idea of eating them. I'm tempted but I need a little push before taking the leap. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Unfathomable Comedian
715 Posts
Find a good beef stew or beef hash recipe, and replace the beef with squirrel

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Legs and gravy are real good for in the morning with some eggs, hash browns, and home made biskets. Just flour up and skillet fry with a little garlic salt. Now I am getting hungry.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I've had squirrel stew before, and liked it. Personally, I've yet to hunt squirrel to eat, but I hear there is a nice market for them amongst some of our oriental cultures around these parts. I've never sold anything I've shot for meat. I always eat what I hunt unless it goes bad in the freezer. Personally, I like rabbit. I've eaten a lot of game in my day, and some things on the premise of basic survival that I won't say here. I do know one thing though-----anything goes well with ketchup, and that seems to be available world wide!

G

·
I've eaten a squirrel before (my uncle shot it with his assault shotgun... within 20 feet). In all seriousness, it tasted like chicken, just tougher. At least the way we prepared it.

He shot another one, but something stole it :sosp:

G

·
squirrel pot pie is killer fried in flour w/biscuits and gravy mmmm.its a real dense meat so i usually marnate it for a couple of days the grill it or better yet put it on the smoker for 6-8 hrs with some asparagus and taters great meal.my family eats more wild game than store bought meat. too many hormones and added crap. bought a steak from w.m and didnt change color for 4 days in the fridge .thats a little spooky.so we try to eat wild game primarily and squirrel is killer.some guys pressure cook it because its a little tough.shoot the small ones.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts

Say...that does look like some fine dining there! Anything is edible or palatable.....it all depends on the way it's cooked and the trimmings that go with. I figure that some menues around the states would probably list this dish in their specialties column, and may be in high demand as an eccentric dish demanding a high price. Anything with fur is on my list of survival cuisine. Hey.....I've ate snails before and other things you'd rather not know about.

G

·
I eat squirrel and think it's rightly good eating. It is alot of work for a small amount of meat- granted.
But they stew up really well. I generally quarter them and strip the rib meat, then toss it all in a pressure cooker, which makes the meat fall off those tiny bones, hassle free.

You can also grind it into burger along with beef, or rabbit (my favorite) and some added fat- they make great filler in burgers, meatballs, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts