National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all the frames still made in Brazil or do they make some of them in the US?

Anyone have any insight about Springfield.

G

·
All frames are made in Brazil. Models throught the milspec are finised in Brazil and shipped to U.S. complete. Models from loaded up are finished in U.S. Don't let the Brazil situation bother you. IMBEL makes a terrific 1911.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MACWHISPER said:
All frames are made in Brazil. Models throught the milspec are finised in Brazil and shipped to U.S. complete. Models from loaded up are finished in U.S. Don't let the Brazil situation bother you. IMBEL makes a terrific 1911.

I hate to say it but the Springfield milspec 45 acp that I had that was made in Brazil was the second biggest piece of junk that I have ever owned. And.....I have owned a heck of a lot of guns.

That said I know Springfield is a great company and makes a good product. But they could not fix mine and did not offer to replace it either. That was ten years ago and I know the more recent 45s are much higher quality.

G

·
I'd be interested to know what problems you had with your Springfield. I've owned a stainless Mil Spec for about 6 mos. and have noticed that as long as I'm shooting American Eagle hard ball everything is perfect. As soon as I try any of the cheaper ammo I get problems.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MACWHISPER said:
I'd be interested to know what problems you had with your Springfield. I've owned a stainless Mil Spec for about 6 mos. and have noticed that as long as I'm shooting American Eagle hard ball everything is perfect. As soon as I try any of the cheaper ammo I get problems.

I had feeding problems with my Springfield. I changed out my Mags. Had about seven different versions. That was not the problem. Tried various types of ammo, ball would work better than hollow-point but was still unreliable.

The feed ramp was built into the frame and was Alum. Had developed a bit of a notch from the rounds hitting it. Tried to smooth that out with jewelers rouge. Finally gave up and sent it back to the factory. They had it for a few weeks and sent it back. Worked a bit better but it still jammed and would direct all the fired brass into my forehead. I played with it and worked on the feed ramp some more. Cleaned the extractor thoroughly but could not get it to be reliable.

Sent it back again. They said it was fine and did not offer to replace any parts or correct the problem. Brass was still nailing me in the forehead hard enough to draw blood so I just discounted the pistol and sold it.

It was my opinion, that the frame itself was a defective casting and would never be a reliable shooter. I was disappointed that Springfield did not stand behind their product. But that was back when they were just beginning to ramp up to compete with the high sales volume that Kimber was enjoying.

I understand they are now making first class pistols since they competed for some large government contracts. Problem is you tend to hold a bit of a grudge when you get burned by a product. I didn't like the cavalier attitude of their service department so I will steer clear of their products.

That is the only real serious problem that I have had with any firearm that I have purchased. I have been buying firearms since the 1960s, so I have been through a few.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts