National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 5, gun #5 from my wife's inherited collection. Guns 1-4 were Mauser KAR98, Remington 03-A3, Browning SA 22, and Mossberg 44US. I've received great information from various posters regarding those guns. Not sure there is much mystery to this one. I appears to be in pretty nice shape (to a novice anyway). The only oddity to me is the circled 24 on it. Can't imagine that is its serial number but who knows.

It says 22S, L, or LR. I assume because of that, that it is a single shot rifle.

Anyway, photos below. As always, if more are needed I will gladly add them.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,260 Posts
Nice 22 rifle. You have inherited some nice guns. Yes that one is a single shot.

Reactions: LRDGCO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Stamps6 but this one has family memento cache for my wife. This is another she may have learned on.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's a nice example. Should be an accurate 22. And a cool compliment to the Mossberg. Is the bakelite trigger guard on your Mossberg still intact?

Looks like the FIL had some good taste.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you, LRDGCO. He was a Gunnery Sergeant in WWII so I'm assuming he knew what he was doing.

I've added some photos of the Mossberg trigger/guard in an attempt to answer your question.
Wow. That's pristine.

I have referred to it as bakelite but in fact it's a somewhat more modern plastic rather than bakelite. Nevertheless, at this age, they are somewhat fragile. It's worth checking out whether replacements were ever made and are available. Replacing it with modern to allow for the occasional outing would be nice if they aren't priced like Hen's Teeth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hadn't thought of replacing for preservation purposes. Interesting idea. Of the 5 guns I've posted so far the Browning SA 22 is the one I'd like to try out first. The KAR98 and Remington 03 A3 look pretty fun, too.

Putting another one up shortly.

·
Registered
694 Posts
More than likely the Springfield was made when serial numbers were not required. Some manufacturers did not put them on some cheaper guns, especially .22s and SS shotguns, until up into the 1950s or 1960s IIRC. I have several older .22s with no serial numbers from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that part of this has been confusing. I assumed all of these machined parts would have serial numbers or some sort of mark to show it met specs. The circled 24 is the only thing I've seen on this one. So, safe to assume it is pre 1950s then?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts