National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put this one on layaway after work. Springfield Armory 911 in 380 AC. I went in for the new 9mm But they didn’t have one with the SS slide. Got this one instead. Came with nylon holster, soft case,1x 6rd mag and 1x 7rd mag.

high vis green dot sight

With extended mag

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went in for the new 9mm but didn’t have one with the stainless slide. This one I got them to knock 15% off it so I’m not complaining. I had picked it up and looked at it a half dozen times over the past year. Hard to justify over $500 on a 380.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I am sorry to have to report this but this thing is a turd. Usually I take them out of the box and see if they will function before takedown. This thing was really dry so I didn’t do that. I went ahead and oiled it up well, then loaded some Winchester service rounds, 13 in total between the 2 mags. I had 5 failures to feed. 4 requiring me to drop the mag to clear. Manual extraction wasn’t working either.

I loaded 13 more of the same ammo, same deal, this time, 5 failures to feed. By this point I’m thinking it doesn’t like that ammo, they are flat points.

I go to the safe and pull out some 100gr round nose hand loads that I have tested in my other three 380’s. Same issue. About every other round fails to chamber. I’ve now put 39rds through it with about a 40% failure to chamber. Several times the round was 80% chambered and the extractor wouldn’t pull it.

Looks like this was a huge fail. I’ll get in touch with Springfield tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Sorry to hear hopefully it's an issue they can take care of and get you up and running.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You may also want to try a good cleaning/de-greasing. Scrub it down real good with a good solvent. Then oil it up good and see what happens. Your description leads me to believe the factory preservative/cutting lubes may have congealed and dried up. Putting a layer of oil on top of all that may not provide enough lubrication for proper functioning. It sounds like you don't have another mag but if you do try another mag. I know you said you tried different types of ammo that work in your other guns but in your case it may be a good idea to try another box of factory round nose. You want to exhaust all possible sources of trouble even if you're not quite convinced that they would cause your problem. Then you have the confidence to stand your ground when talking to the folks at Springfield when they tell you you might be limp wristing (make double sure you're not).

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I buy a firearm and it fails to function 40% of the time with the most common factory ammunition, it’s a turd. It’s was clean as usual when oiled. Seems a bit silly not to once it’s torn down. I’m not even going to entertain the last comment.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Springfield sent an email a couple days ago saying it was repaired but as usual, no indication of what was repaired. It is supposed to be here this afternoon. We will test it as soon as I inspect it.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welll, I just got it back and the list of things done to it was extensive.

Reamed chamber
Cut & polished feed ramp
Tuned extractor
Polished bottom of slide

I just ran the first 2 mags through it. One of Winchester brown box (flat nose) and one of hand loads (round nose). Zero failures. So far it appears a job well done. I will look at it closer later on today.

·
AZHerper
4,376 Posts
Congrats Philmo! It's a nice looking gun and I know that you had a lot of anticipation for it and it's wonderful that it's functioning well. Also, kudos to Springfield Armory for standing by their product and repairing it. Not only did they repair it; they tuned it!

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
7 mags and no failures of any kind. I’m calling it fixed. The front sight needs drifted to the right because it’s shooting right. When I look at it from the top, looks like there is a marker where it’s supposed to be and it’s not quite there. Need a couple brass punches to drift it a hair.

This is the best pic I could get of the marker for the sight position.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
K, I got the sight drifted. This was 12 yards 12:30 at night. Had the target under a pole light, fairly dim one at that. Grouping probably would have been better in better lighting conditions but it is what it is.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So today I took my tiny gun out to fire off those 380s that were questionable. My powder measure gave out while loading them. Wanted to make sure there were no squibs in the mix. Didn’t want the wife or kids to encounter one on the range. Luckily all was good.

I ran 120rds pretty much continuously through 3 mags, stopping only long enough to reload the mags.

She got hot, let me tell you. At the very end, the last casing just kind of lobbed out of the chamber on the ground at my feet. So hot I couldn’t hold onto the slide. I made the mistake at about 80rds of slipping it into my front pocket while I loaded the mags back up. That was a mistake.

Letting her cool down. The 3 mags hold exactly 20rds.

I took the opportunity to practice hitting the target off the recoil at 25 yards. Recoil was surprisingly mild. It’s tiny but is all metal so it has a bit of heft for its size. That’s an 8” plate, the target was cut from a stan.

The sight radius is ridiculously short but the big green tritium front sight makes a hell of a difference when just timing your shots off the recoil.

On another note, she got dirty. Very dirty...

I love this little gun. Sexy like my 1911s but tiny enough to slip in your pocket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts