National Gun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
THe 336 model (and variants) are only offered in the rifle calibers You have to go to the Marlin 1894 model (and variants) to get the handgun calibers, but they are top eject. The Mossberg gun only comes in 30-30 at the moment, but it is side eject like the 336.

The Marlin costs a couple hundred more than the Rossi, but the fit and finish are better. The Rossi also has an odd safety, mounted on the top of the bolt.
I have to disagree with the top ejection aspect of the Marlin Model 1894. This rifle is still listed on their website in .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum and is a side loading, side ejecting rifle. Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) all of the newly made Marlin lever action rifles include a cross bolt safety on the frame. I realize that this is probably a "good" feature, especially in today's law suit society, but to a traditionalist like me it's like putting diapers on John Wayne....they just don't belong there.

At present I have Marlin lever rifles in .22 LR, .30-30 Winchester, .375 Winchester Big Bore, .44 Remington Magnum, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government. All are old models, without the cross bolt safety, and I'm pleased with each of them. I will mention, however, that the Model 1894 in .44 Remington Magnum isn't the most accurate rifle I own. This is due to a rate of twist that isn't ideal for this calibre. I'm not sure if current production rifles still have the old rate of twist or if it has been changed. Also, this is a light weight rifle and with full load .44s it does bump a little. As for the Model 1895 in .45-70, with full load ammunition it bumps more than just a little. The Model 444 in .444 Marlin falls in between these two with regards to recoil.

I believe Marlin lever rifles to be fine guns and if it's a side loading and side ejecting lever gun you're looking for I don't believe you'll do any better.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.