National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you watched Miami Vice in past years and wondered how it would feel to strap on that cool looking shoulder holster rigg that they liked to wear back then?

Every owned a Galco shoulder holster? Wear one as a LEO?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
To me, they might be a good way to carry when driving, seems to be the most accessible way.

Other than that, not very practical. Like any cross-draw, too much motion/time to get on target.

A friend of mine once referred to them as C.D.I. holsters...Chicks Dig It.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I used one for a while in the 1990s. First, I had a 1911 version - You will see the bluge from the back with a long gun. I eventually got one for a Glock 26 - the gun is much shorter - so it worked better.

However - a few issues with them. Unless you wear a shirt with a collar (and one that fits tightly - like a button down shirt with a tie) - your shirt eventually gets pulled to 1 side (typically to the side with the gun - as it is heavier). Also, as you move around and bend over to pick stuff up, you have to yank your shirt down sometimes, as it rides up under the straps.

I was wearing t-shirts and mock turtlenecks, and had this issue a lot. You also have to worry about the wind blowing your jacket/extra shirt open if you don't have it zipped.

They are great if you are driving in a car - and I may eventually get another one. But, they can be inconvenient.

Finally - if you carry a metal gun - and the gun side is much heavier than your 2 spare mags - your shoulders will hurt after a while (on the heavy side). I ended up carrying that Glock 26 with two 17-round mags on the opposite side, to balance out the weight better. And, I also had that handcuff attachment - to add weight on the opposite side. Had I turcked my shirt in, I may have used the belt attachment on the mag side instead.

G

·
My Air Force OSI son has to wear one daily while on duty. He has to buy his suits from a men's store that sells split sizes, he would normally wear a 44 coat, he buys a 48. His rig is Galco with his carry on the left side for a crossdraw and two spare mags on the right. His cuff case is SOB. BTY, they practive draw and quick fire on a regular basis. His set up is pistol carried in the horizontal position. If you think it's slow and cumbersom, you need to watch any federal agent in action. Don't think you can beat one.

Before my son changed over to OSI I didn't realize the intensive training the feds get. The geek boy on Criminal Minds with his 1911 set out at a 25 deg angle just doesn't happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts