National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend a private land elk hunt sorta fell into our laps granting my eldest son an opportunity to fill his first elk tag. He managed to harvest a calf bull elk on an anterless youth tag and his joy almost equaled my pride in him. He ended up taking the animal at about 80 yards with a Sako 338 Fed by placing one in the boiler, the animal left a blood trail about 18 inches wide and 50+ yards long before flopping over. My son kept his cool the entire time, listened to all instructions and did exactly what he was told, he's on the right path to carry on the hunting tradition.

View attachment 110306

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Congratulations!! I’m sure he’ll become a good hunter and sportsman because he’s on the right path. Some of my greatest joys have been teaching my son to hunt and watching him become not only a man but a skilled person in other ways. Tomorrow is his 31st birthday and when we go hunting, he’s a man and a equil to the other hunters, not a kid going hunting. He got a doe when he was 10 and when he was 17 he got this buck. D60CBA53-B62C-4B6F-A93E-6CA286E4764B.jpeg
this year we went on a deer/ Hog hunt and he dropped this 200 lb hog at 180 yards with a 30-06 E4E12C39-0D21-4FD2-9BE0-6232EBBE1E4A.jpeg

·
AZHerper
3,746 Posts
Congrats to you and your son. I'm sure that your whole family is going to love the meat. Elk is absolutely one of my favorites.

·
Aim true !
10,330 Posts
Congrats to him. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
that is a purty good blood trail as seen in the pic........

i do not know much about the 338 federal......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts