National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm working on a game system and I want an accurate representation of the time and resources required to load firearms and reload centerfire cartridges. Any information is greatly appreciated. Be warned I have little experience so if I make any foolish remarks please forgive me.

• How difficult would it be to reload a late 19th century rifle with a centerfire cartridge. It seems like with common rifles like the Sharps or Springfield Trapdoor the process of reloading was fairly simple. In what ways could the shooter make mistakes in reloading and what effects would those mistakes have?
  • Is loading a shotgun in that same era any more/less difficult than a standard rifle? Would any of the consequences of improper loading be different?
  • Is loading a pistol (revolver) in that same era any more/less difficult than a standard rifle? Would any of the consequences of improper loading be different?
  • Approximately how long, per cartridge, would it take to reload a spent centerfire cartridge? What resources would be consumed per cartridge?
  • Is it possible to reload a centerfire cartridge without tools?
  • What tools are used to aid in reloading centerfire cartridges? How much would these tools weigh and cost (in that era)?
  • What effect would errors in cartridge reloading have when attempting to fire the cartridges?
  • How different is the process of reloading shotgun cartridges?

Thanks again for any answers on any of my questions!

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Your questions would take a great deal of time to answer. So I suggest you buy a Reloading Manual or two and read up on the process. Once you have a idea of how to do it then you can make more informed decisions. Speers #14, Hodgdon, and hand loading by Richard Lee are some good ones. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,059 Posts
Yep, what he said.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.