National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a start!!

Marine Corps law enforcement personnel who meet specific federal qualifications are now authorized to carry their own concealed firearms on base -- even when off duty, a three-star general announced.
Marine Corps law enforcement professionals can now carry privately owned weapons "for personal protection not in the performance of official duties," a new service-wide message released Tuesday states.

While the new rules apply only to Marine law enforcement personnel,Lt. Gen. George Smith Jr., head of Marine Corps Plans, Policies and Operations, indicated that additional concealed carry policies could be in the works.
"[Headquarters Marine Corps] will continue to develop policy to address the total force requirements for the carry, transport, and storage of concealed [personally owned firearms] aboard Marine Corps property," he wrote.
The moves follow two recent fatal shootings on separate Navy installations -- one in Hawaii and another in Florida. The attacks killed six and prompted a Navy Department-wide review of safety measures.
"These tragic events prompted Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) to accelerate existing efforts to develop concealed carry policies," Smith'smessage states.

The permissions apply to uniformed and civilian Marine Corps law enforcement personnel, but only if they meet the credentials laid out in section 926B of the federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, known as LEOSA. Approved personnel include military police, criminal investigators and Marine Corps Law Enforcement Program police officers.
The Marine Corps' policy aligns with LEOSA, which allows qualified civilian law enforcement agents and retirees exemption from most state or local laws that would prohibit them from carrying concealed firearms.
The recent attacks on the two Navy bases have reignited questions about why troops who qualify on service weapons aren't allowed to carry firearms to protect themselves on base. Similar questions were raised after the 2015 terror attack on a Marine Corps recruiting station and Navy Reserve center in Tennessee.
A Navy Department policy authorizes Gen. DavidBerger, as commandant, to grant uniformed and civilian personnel permission to carry personal firearms on Marine Corps property. The policy approved this week applies only to Marine Corps installations in the U.S. and its territories,Smith wrote in his message.
Marines are not authorized to carry personal weapons on other Defense Department installations, he added, including joint bases. Similarly, the policy does not authorize other Defense Department law enforcement personnel to carry weapons on Marine Corps property.

Any law enforcement personnel opting to carry a concealed weapon must comply with the rules listed in a 2016 Defense Department directive called "Arming and the Use of Force." That includes rules about firearm registration, storage and transportation.
Military policy also bars Marines from carrying concealed firearms in Defense Department schools, some courtrooms and other locations where carrying a weapon is prohibited by law.
Commanders implementing the new concealed carry policy for law enforcement personnel are urged to consult with a staff judge advocate "to ensure local policies comply with law, regulations and policies,"Smith's message states.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/12/31/some-marines-get-ok-carry-concealed-firearms-after-deadly-shootings.html?ESRC=eb_200101.nl

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,936 Posts
I'm torn about this issue.

I was an Infantry EM, NCO and Officer. I knew soldiers, authorized to carry weapons in combat under control of an NCO, who I would not feel comfortable with a weapon outside a theater of war. Hell, I didn't trust some with a weapon in combat. The maturity level of many Infantry troops (shock troops) is very low. They are trained to obey and react without thinking.

Qualifications for on base concealed carry must be stringent and strictly enforced.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
I'm torn about this issue.

I was an Infantry EM, NCO and Officer. I knew soldiers, authorized to carry weapons in combat under control of an NCO, who I would not feel comfortable with a weapon outside a theater of war. Hell, I didn't trust some with a weapon in combat. The maturity level of many Infantry troops (shock troops) is very low. They are trained to obey and react without thinking.

Qualifications for on base concealed carry must be stringent and strictly enforced.
Seems this is limited only to those in military law enforcement

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I feel that the everyday soldier does not need to carry on base as long as they have a strong MP force on base and not counting on local LEO's off base to come

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
I feel that the everyday soldier does not need to carry on base as long as they have a strong MP force on base and not counting on local LEO's off base to come
Except, that is EXACTLY the same mindset that antigunners think when it comes to us mere civilians....................

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Except, that is EXACTLY the same mindset that antigunners think when it comes to us mere civilians....................
According to a lot of y'all that have served and have a lot of experience on military bases here in the US. Average soldiers have never carried.
So I do not equate them with the anti gunners. I do believe, and please let me know if I am wrong, That now days bases seem to rely more on local LEO's to respond to shooting incidents on base

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
We train Marines to be tough, strong, and fully ready to combat the enemies of our country, such training includes the proper handling and safety of fire arms, it seems to be the Marines, and all other member of our ARMED forces should be allowed to carry their own weapons in they so desired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts