National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Went and looked at the video.
He messed up bad and payed with his life.
Rough to watch.

I guess the days of officers knocking and introducing themselves are over.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
He came out in an aggressive manner.
The article read " He answered the door".
No. He came out of there like a jack in the box.
That is how he ended up with bullets in his back.
As he was facing the one officer the other neutralized him.
Seems something has been going on there for awhile.
People do not normally spring forth like that.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Just drop the SOB (the gun). As long as you're in control of the gun, you're a threat, just drop it. Another tragedy, but don't greet the cops with a gun in your hand.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The guy shot may not have handled it well, but if he did point the gun at cops or threaten them and got shot in the back, over a noise complaint the cops were in the wrong. If instead of cops, it had been a criminal home invasion, and the guy got killed, we would now be talking about how he should have had his gun ready when he answered the door. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He came out in an aggressive manner.
The article read " He answered the door".
No. He came out of there like a jack in the box.
That is how he ended up with bullets in his back.
As he was facing the one officer the other neutralized him.
Seems something has been going on there for awhile.
People do not normally spring forth like that.
Guy was shot within 3sec of opening the door...he had no chance to comply......amazing how different people see the same things so much different than others. Right or wrong.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Cop he's facing says "hand hands hands" and he raises his left hand and hides his right hand holding the gun behind his back. He didn't see the cop behind him. How long does it take to point and shoot? A split second? Ye, the guy f'd up.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
And it wasn't just a "noise complaint", listen to the caller. He says it may be a domestic dispute, a may be physical, if that will get the cops here sooner, a lot of banging, maybe someone is getting slammed into the wall. The cops thought it could be domestic violence, an often very dangerous situation for them, a guy comes to the door holding a gun, and hides it behind his back. Just drop the f*ing gun and put your hands in the air.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Bad shot on the cops part. I agree with River, the guy wasn't even given the opportunity to comply.
Looked to me like he was placing the gun on the ground and the cop on the right just started popping off shots.

Cops were 100% premature in my opinion but I'll agree to disagree with those who think how the cops handled it was OK.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
If I was the idiot with the gun, I would hope for a little more time. But if he had just dropped it to the floor and raised his hands, I think he'd still be alive. When I go to the door for a knock, which never happens except maybe once or twice, I set hold my gun in the open trunk of my scooter. If it's the cops, I can just take my hand out gun free, if there is a threat I have it ready. Plus I have cameras so I know who's there to begin with, but just in case that 90 year old lady giving her cat food away has bad intentions, I'm ready for her.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
But if he had just dropped it to the floor and raised his hands
He wasn't given that opportunity in my opinion.
He also had a bright light directly in his face so he likely wasn't able to immediately identify who it was at his door. The cops also knocked and stepped to the side. Looking out the peep hole there was no one to be seen. That would put me on alert personally.
There is also some other info missing. What kind of neighborhood was this? High crime rate? Home invasions?

I have cameras as well. so I would know who's there.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
I agree, the bright light, the neighborhood, all played against him. Apparently the idiot was convinced it was the cops because he was going to the floor and raising his left hand, but hiding the gun behind your back when being addressed by the cops is a BAD IDEA. I'll agree the cop doing the shooting could have held off for the situation to play out a little longer, but those guys are in a tough situation. Public threats to their lives everyday. Half the country wants them dead. I'd be a little uneasy too, especially when a guy, probably in a drug infested neighborhood, possibly throwing his wife against the wall, and holding a gun behind his back. I don't blame the cop, but another half second things probably would have been different. But that half second is enough time that your partner could lose his life. So......tough deal for all involved.

·
Live Free
2,875 Posts
Looked to me like he was trying to put the gun on the floor, and he was backing away as he went down with the other hand in the air. Never pointed the gun at the cops nor did he threaten them in any way that I could tell. Happened very fast, but seemed no reason to shoot that was observable. That was tough to watch!

·
Aim true !
10,274 Posts
The cop had him covered. Should have gave him a chance to put the gun down. If he just dropped it. Then probably would not have been shot. But then there is always a chance of a discharge if the gun falls wrong. The shooting was not necessary IMO.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Here is another vid. Audio is graphic as you can hear the guy dying.
The Girlfriend begins to state at 3:38 that other night someone knocked on the door but she doesn't get to finish.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,271 Posts
The cops arrived eight minutes later and knocked on the door with one of them yelling "Phoenix police" before both of them stepped off to the side, making it impossible for anybody to see them through the peephole.
The guys only mistake was answering the door. If he didn't know who was on the other side, he should have never opened the door.

·
Aim true !
10,274 Posts
No medics called in it appears.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,912 Posts
Now for something on the completely opposite side of the spectrum.
I feel terrible for the officer in this vid.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 20 of 29 Posts