National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I have no idea where to start when it comes to Rifles. Any advice on this area would be appreciated. I'm mostly looking for beginners rifles and then making my up to what I've been having my eyes on for a time now.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
93 Posts
I would recommend refining your focus on what you want to collect as the wider your range, the more expensive it will be especially if there are rare items to get. For myself, I focused on my favorite pistol which is the Beretta 92. After getting some of the current ones I focused on collecting the vintage ones. It's been expensive getting them but I have a nice collection of them now.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
there are a few i would like to accumulate....but some of them folks think are collectabl......heck, i just want to shoot them.

i really don't need any more....but there is the wants.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hey, the kid can still have goals. I dreamed of a collection for years before I got to do it.

Once you get on your feet, keep your eye out. There are always folks hard up for cash. Sometimes you can find a good deal on something worth more than you’ll pay for it. I’ve yet to sell a gun for less than I paid but I see folks do it all the time. Know what it is you are buying, buy it cheap, sell it for more than you paid and move up. That’s how my brother gets a lot of what he has. Hell, he sold a shotgun he paid $420 for new for over $700 a year later. Then he went and bought 2 guns to replace it. He bought a handgun today for $80 and it’ll go to auction as soon as the transfer is done.

See something you like, check it out on Armslist, see what it’s selling for. If there is room to buy it and turn a quick profit, by all means go for it. Just don’t get in a hurry, someone will come along and buy it. While it’s listed and waiting to sell, use it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Collect, guns for use in recreation as well as home defense.
That is accumulating.

I've accumulated hundreds of firearms. Within my accumulation are several collections. I have one pristine example of each manufacturer's US Model 1917 rifle. Also some rarer variants of this rifle and a couple of very nice British P.14 rifles.

Ya see, a collection has a specific focus... all Swedish Mauser variants or all SIG-Sauer metal framed pistol variants, etc. These weapons are rarely, if ever, fired.

An accumulation consists of several firearms acquired for use. It may contain a SIG-Sauer pistol or a Swedish Mauser mil-surp but they are acquired for use.

Most folks have an accumulation. Its how I started. Very few have the funds available for a true collection. I began collecting when I stumbled into 'stupid' amounts of money.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
One day I’m going to collect Ruger .22 Mark series pistols. Off the top of my head, there’s probably 50 variations of these great pistols. All it takes is money, searching, money, and some more money.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,945 Posts
Acquire what you like and appeals to you.

Reactions: The Gunslinger777

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Need to focus on what your collection is going to look like.
For me, I have started to collect rifles that were important to America.
Major milestones in American rifle technology.
Started with a Rev. War era Flintlock Long Rifle. Then a Caplock rifle. Lever rifles etc.
I still have a long way to go but the fun is in searching for and accumulating.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok let me get this out of the way right now, just because I set up a thread about collecting firearms doesn't mean that I'm going to go out and blow all of my hard earned cash I. Guns the moments I get a check in the mail. I have other far more important things to worry about right now, and as I've stated before on this very thread, I'm looking for a place to stay first, and gun collecting will start after I've secured a place to stay and not just for me mind you, sure I haven't mentioned much else of my private life but I really shouldn't have to just to get some kind of respect on the internet. House first and foremost then save enough money to actually pursue the thought of going out to buy a new gun. So can you please refrain from the smart allec comments, they don't help and aren't necessary, thank you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've gotten the house and other stuff done. However, guns are only one part of my interests. Eventually I will start a bus collection (real vehicles) because I like old transit buses and have been working on them at the museum that I volunteer at. That and I have the necessary CDL to drive them. I'll have enough money to do both and may end up selling my current house when I retire, buy a property with more land and build a house with facility to store the buses and everything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And I have no idea where to start when it comes to Rifles. Any advice on this area would be appreciated. I'm mostly looking for beginners rifles and then making my up to what I've been having my eyes on for a time now.
any good collection is going to have a .22 the one I have is a marlin 795

also for collection purposes if you like history look at acquiring an M1 or M14, Mosan Nagants are usually cheap and good collectors item

for your AR15 platform I love my Spikes Tactical, lots of options as far as design and different bolt carrier groups, give em a call see if they can tweak something for ya

I don’t have any AK’s but some YouTube people say palmetto state makes a decent one

a good bolt gun is great for collecting and Remington 700 is very popular in .308

if you’re going to be collecting anyhow another more “hunting“ orientated rifle in 30-06 like a savage arms model 110 (mine kicks like a mule, not fun to shoot)
Tons of calibers to mix and match, try to stick with the popular stuff so you can find ammo

hope this give you some ideas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I may have found a nice rifle but I don't know if it would be considered a beginners rifle, It's called a Savage 110 Stealth 300 Win/Mag in black with 24 inch barrel and 5 round capacity. Again I personally think its nice but am not sure if it's a good starting rifle or not. Some advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Yea that’s a starter rifle, bolt guns are good to start on, 300 win mag is a heavy recoil rifle, you might wanna start with a .308 or 270 or something a little softer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts