National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIttle background, been a casual hunter/shooter all my life, plan on making my first purchase now that I have entered the real world. That purchase is going to be an AR-15, in all likelihood a .223. But that is really where my search begins.

I am looking to buy the highest quality, most reliable rifle on the market that I can modify to really, make the gun a ton of fun to shoot while adding functionality.

What is the Ferrari of AR-15s? I have shot a Stag Arms before, seemed to be a really nice rifle but suffice it to say, that judgment was simply a function of the fact the gun didn't jam all day.

Thanks in advance, price is not an issue so please go nuts!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You will get lots of opinions on this. I personally own a stag piston AR, and love it, but even it has a couple minor tweaks. If I had an unlimited budget, I would probably get one from these folks: Crusader Weaponry - Home

·
Registered
582 Posts
SO MANY OPTIONS lol. I took a $900 RRA and added another 2000 and made it into what I want, if you want a top end base gun after options like I have on mine you are looking at like 5000

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have a Bushmaster and a RRA. Most all ARs built today are milspec. Any AR made by the major companies should work fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Build your own. start by getting a QUALITY lower receiver and work from there. There is no "perfect" AR, each person will have a slightly different different take on ideal barrel size and weight, rail grips and stocks.

Also, I would get a lower receiver that is marked as MULTI-CAL, and build it for 5.56. Reason being that 223 is a (very slightly) smaller round than 5.56. Doing it this way will give you maximum choice of ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Build your own. start by getting a QUALITY lower receiver and work from there. There is no "perfect" AR, each person will have a slightly different different take on ideal barrel size and weight, rail grips and stocks.

Also, I would get a lower receiver that is marked as MULTI-CAL, and build it for 5.56. Reason being that 223 is a (very slightly) smaller round than 5.56. Doing it this way will give you maximum choice of ammo.
That is an interesting idea. An initial question, I assume all in all building a system piece by piece would be more expensive?

I am not against the idea of customization.

If you have some free time, (or anyone else for that matter) would you mind running through what you would say, for your specifications, is the best setup?

I can research the responses and make an opinion of my own.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Though you say an AR-15 is your goal, I wouldn't be remiss to consider either a SCAR or the new Bushmaster ACR, the design that is soon scheduled to replace the AR-15 in service for our troops. Both do the customization for you to a degree, but both are terrific rifles with dedicated and proven performance. They're both over $2000, but you're getting a hell of a gun. If you're not buying an AR lower for caliber customization, one of these two may be worth consideration.

SCAR: FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: MK 16 Standard

ACR: Bushmaster ACR

Also forgot to include, for some reason, that Knight's Armament makes a hell of a gun for around $2000. The SR-15 is a wonderful piece of technology that I've had the pleasure to fire, beating out any other AR I've gotten my hands on.

Knight's Armament: Commercial | Weapons | Accessories | Knight's Armament Company

·
Registered
734 Posts
Though you say an AR-15 is your goal, I wouldn't be remiss to consider either a SCAR or the new Bushmaster ACR, the design that is soon scheduled to replace the AR-15 in service for our troops. Both do the customization for you to a degree, but both are terrific rifles with dedicated and proven performance. They're both over $2000, but you're getting a hell of a gun. If you're not buying an AR lower for caliber customization, one of these two may be worth consideration.

Actually the Army abandoned the SCAR program and is now looking into the HK416 as a potential replacement for the M16

My advice for an AR would be to do your research and then build the exact gun you want. If you just buy one off the shelf you'll end up replacing half the parts before you're done with it, wasting money in the process.

Bravo Company USA makes just about every upper configuration you could ever want - Upper Receiver Groups AR 15 and they're some of the best rifles on the market today. The prices are about the same as the lower tier brands like RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. Most people agree that midlength gas systems are the way to go these days.

The next step would be to put a lower together. Get one from a reputable manufacturer, as an out of spec lower will not mate up properly with the upper and your rifle won't achieve its full accuracy potential. Find a trigger you like (Geissele makes some of the best on the market), and get a good quality lower parts kit (LMT or Stag is usually good). Have a gunsmith install it, or do it yourself if you feel comfortable. After that all you need is a stock (get a mil spec buffer tube) and you're in business.

As far as the Multi caliber lower goes, this only applies if you plan on running something like a 6.8 or 300blk upper. If all you're running is 5.56 its a waste of money and time. Switching between 5.56 and .223 is only determined by your chamber, and since the mil-spec manufacturers all run 5.56 barrels you'll be just fine (you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber all day with no problems, but not vice versa)

Any questions feel free to ask

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
IMG_0554.jpg I had an HK that I used for a while in Iraq. They are nice guns, but too damn heavy for what they are. I didn't see the advantage over a short barreled M-4, so changed back.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah I've seen a few of the 10.5" 416's the SEALs were carrying and they did seem pretty front heavy. Our new IARs are really nice guns though, and after hefting a SAW around they feel like a feather

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yeah, the 416 weighs a chunk, even without the launcher attached. But its all relative, after lugging a SAW I'd imagine that 416 felt pretty light. We had the shorter, more compact SAWs, but even they were a load. Luckily, not my burden; our security contractors really loved them.

·
Registered
734 Posts
When I was a SAW gunner we had to run the full 20" barrel, SDO and carry 2 extra barrels. These kids coming in now don't know how easy they've got it. That's why my next build is gonna be a lightweight lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is an interesting idea. An initial question, I assume all in all building a system piece by piece would be more expensive?

I am not against the idea of customization.

If you have some free time, (or anyone else for that matter) would you mind running through what you would say, for your specifications, is the best setup?

I can research the responses and make an opinion of my own.

Thanks in advance.
Whoa, Sorry, still learning the my way around the thread.

price all depends on how you go about building it. There are a few custom tool's needed but they are not that expensive at all. I'm the last person to give the final word on what parts to buy, I can give you an idea of what I would get.. but that would be for my AR, your AR might be totally different than mine. Youtube building an AR and you can get much better explanations of part's to use than I can give :)

< not a gunsmith :( but I might have slept in a holidy inn last night :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recommend the S&W. Totally incredible gun. Don't get a .223. Get a 5.56. That gives you two calibres you can shoot with it. And in the days of rationed ammo, you can buy twice as much at the store each time you go. Here, you can buy 2 boxes of any calibre. If I had a .223 I could only buy two boxes. If I have a 5.56 I can buy 2 boxes of .223 and 2 boxes of 5.56

·
Registered
976 Posts
LIttle background, been a casual hunter/shooter all my life, plan on making my first purchase now that I have entered the real world. That purchase is going to be an AR-15, in all likelihood a .223. But that is really where my search begins.

I am looking to buy the highest quality, most reliable rifle on the market that I can modify to really, make the gun a ton of fun to shoot while adding functionality.

What is the Ferrari of AR-15s? I have shot a Stag Arms before, seemed to be a really nice rifle but suffice it to say, that judgment was simply a function of the fact the gun didn't jam all day.

Thanks in advance, price is not an issue so please go nuts!
first ill say its a bad time to buy AR's might want to wait awhile til prices drop back down a bit as well as waiting for parts for them to become more available,
second would be to build your own that way you get just the parts you wanted without having to buy all the parts you wont be using as well
last would be to look for one chambered in 5.56 that way you can shoot 223 as well as 5.56,5.56 is often found cheaper in bulk from surplus.

·
Registered
307 Posts
go to psa they have kits for 699 right now fn barrels free floated two choices free shipping at this time

then just get a lower many going from 100 to 300 depends on what brand it says on the metal they are mostly the same

so 800 dls gets you a better than colt rifle

now go to ebay and buy the one inch rail risers and look for sniper brand scope 1-4x with the acog reticule and put it on top

you wont regret it

you can always add nickel boron bcg later for less cleaning time

·
Super Moderator
5,713 Posts
What do you hunt?

·
Super Moderator
5,713 Posts

·
old grunt
14 Posts
no one has mentioned Colt where does that stand in quality? a sniper scope was mention so if you sighted in at 500 yards with the 5.56 ammo what difference would there be running .233 round?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The Colts I have encountered, all duty guns, were OK but not what I would call top of the line. 5.56 (or .223) is not what I would be shooting things with at 500 yards, given any choice in the matter. My AR covers the gap between handgun range and run-like-hell-they-probably-can't-hit-me-except-by-luck range and I don't pretend it is a long distance precision sniper rifle.

And the difference between 5.56 and .223 in most 5.56 chambered ARs is pretty much just how much the gun likes them. My Stag (5.56) shoots several .223 rounds more accurately than any of the 5.56 I have been able to run through it, although it shoots the M193 5.56 rounds well enough that I wouldn't hesitate to use them if needed. But if I was shooting at something for real, I would prefer the hollow points the rifle really likes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts