National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have ben looking at getting a sniper style rifle.... i have many hunting guns....270,30-06,22-250,7 mag, but i want somthing that is more tactical, there are just sooooooo many different styles and looks and sizes.... i am really liking the 308 caliber but i dont want just ur daddys deer gun with some tac rails and a bipod thrown on....i really like the look of the barret 50 and like to use that as a similarity ...... if anyone can help i would really appreciate this thanks

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
First it would help to know what action you are going to want to use as your base, i.e Remington, Savage, Winchester, or Custom Action.

Are you wanting to have one built or are you content in a factory rifle that has a more tactical feel to it? The factory rifle is going to be the cheaper route but it will not be nearly as accurate as the custom built rifle.

There are some down falls to a modular stock. The Modular stocks have a tendency to be lighter, noisier, more vibration, tend to hang up when in the woods due to their sharp edges. Even though they are an accurate system they are not as accurate as the traditional A5 Mcmillian, A4 Mcmillian, Manners T4, HS-Precision, AI, or Bell and carlson.

You first need to start with a stable platform. By that I mean a well trued action, good solid bedding job,rigid stock, tuned trigger.

As far as the 308 being your daddy's rifle. You need to take a closer look at just what the 308 is capable of. I have a M40A5 308 and it is definitely not your daddy's rifle. The longest recorded kill for the 308 is just over 7/10 of a mile and was shot by an 1rst Sergeant James Gilliland in Ramadi Iraq at 1312 yards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first sorry guys i have ben on a deployment and ive ben away from the TOC...and i have got to do some more research and SURGOEN i liked your advice.... i looking into the factory due to my knowledge of weapons being that of the military and a few pistols... i have really ben leaning towards the dpms 308 panther..... so yes i retract my daddy statement .... the reson for the dpms is one money and 2nd my very small knowledge of long distance shooting... the rifles i mentioned in my first post are just pretty much wooden stock, scoped hunting rifles ive inherited.... i will prolly buy the dpms panther LR 308 24" stainless steel with adding a daniel defense 12.0 tac rail, the magpul PRS, and some kind of bipod....i know its not the barret but for the money and for my first actual long range tac style rifle it will do for NOW.... please any advice would be greatly appreciated...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.