National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to our well-meaning, but misguided friends at the Violence Policy Center (VPC), "a Sniper Rifle is radically different from standard hunting rifles. Sniper rifles are “purpose-designed” and “purpose-built” weapons of war. This terminology is used in the firearms literature to describe weapons that are made for a specific narrow purpose, in this case for sniping—highly accurate firing on a target from a significant distance."

The problem with VPC's definition is they are allowing the design and mechanics of a rifle to definite what type of rifle it is. Their definition states, a "
sniper rifle is radically different from standard hunting rifles". The problem with that statement is, the United States military has issued Remington 700s and Winchester Model 70s (among other make/models) to it's soldiers with orders to kill enemy combatants. These are the same rifles used by thousands of hunters across the United States! The same rifles issued to LEOs in Police Departments across the United States! So how is a sniper rifle different from a regular hunting rifle? Or long-range rifle?

Now you may be thinking snipers only use large high-powered calibers, like a .338Lapua or .50BMG. If so, please note in 2003 the Beltway DC Sniper used a Bushmaster rifle chambered for a .223 caliber. Military sniper rifles use ammo from the 5.56 to the .50BMG, with the most common being the NATO designated calibers. And hunters have used calibers like the .338Lapua and .50BMG to bring down large game from long distances.

The only other issue I have with the VPC's definition of a sniper rifle is their statement that "
weapons that are made for a specific narrow purpose, in this case for sniping—highly accurate firing on a target from a significant distance." Highly accurate firing on a target from a significant distance? When I'm out hunting, I don't want to simply wound an animal and let it suffer needlessly, which is what a inaccurate rifle would cause. And some animals simply won't wait for me to sneak up on them. If they did, I could use a club and save the cost of a rifle and ammo.

IMHO, the only difference between a sniper rifle and a hunting rifle or long-range rifle or precision rifle is who is holding it. T
he exact same rifle in the hands of ......

...... a LEO is considered a Tactical Precision Rifle.
...... a hunter is considered a Hunting Rifle.
...... a trained military marksman assigned to kill enemy combatants is considered a Sniper Rifle.
...... a target shooting hobbyist is considered a Long-Range Rifle.

We don't let the job definite the equipment in other parts of our lives. For example, we don't drive Taxis. So we shouldn't call our hunting rifle or long-range rifle, a "sniper" rifle. IMHO, when we do, we are falling into a liberal gun-haters trap, like calling a semi-automatic AR-15, an "assault" rifle. My AR never assaulted anyone!

Just my opinion. :popcorn2:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
Long ago and far away I (among others) was sniped at by a woman using a SKS.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
Registered
185 Posts
Their definition is not even historically accurate. I recently watched a very good 7 part documentary Guns - The Evolution of Firearms (I think I found it in the $5 DVD bin at Walmart).

As I recall, it was noticed during that American Civil War that certain mass-produced rifles were more accurate than others, and that certain individuals were better shots. Sharpshooter units were assembled marrying the better rifles with the better shooters, and that was the beginning of sniping. The 'more accurate rifle' was still being used in WW2, when old pre-WW1 rifles like the 1903 Springfield were employed by the allies for sniping, in preference to more modern rifles like the Garand.

AS you say, it's what it;s used for that makes it a sniper rifle. Sniper rifles may be designed and built for the purpose, but any rifle can be used for sniping.

·
Military Rifle Collector
692 Posts
VPC is a bunch of scumbags who want to "define" firearms so they can then ban them. As in "Assult Rifles" or "Saturday Night Specials". Firearms that are being wrongly defined just so they can start a war against them.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Don't you guys hold this against me, I know the idiot that shot at that deer in the video, he was a MSG in the US ARMY, to much desk time and I am glad he wasn't in my foxhole...:crazy:
Really! Oh crap. Well you can tell the Master Sargent that he is Viral and famous now. lol

·
Walks amongst dogs
32 Posts
No, won't hold it against you - unless you defended his shooting. I've known too many folks in uniform as can't shoot straight, so he's not the only one. Just as well he was a desk-jokey, and not a line grunt.

Back to the VPC scumbags... Basically, if they define a sniper rifle as a specialized rifle, with no 'legitimate' use in civilian hands (and they'll be taking the position that the 2nd Amendment is NOT designed to protect the populace from a tyrannical gov't.), then they can turn around and try to legislate away the right of civilians to own any rifle that has *ever* been used as a sniper rifle as 'excess to civilian needs and purposes.' So... No '03 Springfileds. No Model 70s or 700s. No M1 Garands. No M1A rifles, either. 'No' to a LOT of perfectly common hunting rifles.

Indeed, my father used a suppressed Nylon 66 in Southwest Asia to pop the point men on communist guerrilla patrols in the eye preparatory to executing an ambush... Making that venerable old .22 rimfire rifle a military 'sniper' rifle, and thus unsuitable for civilian ownership.

If we keep letting the enemy define the terms of the argument, we will lose. I propose the the VPC be defined as a terrorist front - They intend harm to the Constitution, and that's clearly a threat to the health and well-being of this nation.

·
Walks amongst dogs
32 Posts
Indeed, my father used a suppressed Nylon 66 in Southwest Asia to pop the point men on communist guerrilla patrols in the eye preparatory to executing an ambush... Making that venerable old .22 rimfire rifle a military 'sniper' rifle, and thus unsuitable for civilian ownership.
'Scuse me. SouthEAST Asia. *I* was the one in Southwest Asia - And the only firearm I used was the one with which I stood quarterdeck watch. :p

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
that video has been viral for a few years now, the guy caught a bunch of grief and embarrassment from that:lol:

·
Super Moderator
14,178 Posts
A sniper rifle is one used by a sniper to snipe. Some of the WWI accounts are quite interesting in regard to the type of rifles used in creating battlefield promotions. If I recall correctly Carlos Hathcock began his rise to fame with a M70 his father sent him. (but I often don't recall correctly).

Alan

·
Walks amongst dogs
32 Posts
A sniper rifle is one used by a sniper to snipe. Some of the WWI accounts are quite interesting in regard to the type of rifles used in creating battlefield promotions. If I recall correctly Carlos Hathcock began his rise to fame with a M70 his father sent him. (but I often don't recall correctly).

Alan
Pretty sure it wasn't his father, whom I believe was out of the picture long before Hathcock rose to fame, but the M70 is correct. And so is your definition of a sniper rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts