National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not a bolt action guy, although I do own a few bolt .22’s. It seems to me the the Mauser and it’s variants, the Krag and a notable few others seem to be highly coveted because of the smooth actions. If these are so smooth in a 60-125 year old design and the machine work is so smooth, why aren’t there much better ones today? Our machining is certainly better. Barrels are better. Designs are improved and our knowledge of function and computer analysis of cartridge and harmonics is much better, so why wouldn’t manufacturers just build a better gun? With modern manufacturing technology, it should be able to easily make these better guns affordable to the average shooter and sportsman.

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Yes our machining is much better but also much more expensive. Oh and Krags, its like moving glass coated with oil.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the bottom line.......costs....
if people are given a choice between the low price of a Ruger American or a Savage Axis.......compared to paying twice as much for a mid entry level like a Tikka bolt to obtain that glass smooth action........well.....we all see where market share is....

the market direction is build it less expensive and cut corners and workmanship....as long as it sells.......if the consumer want better..be it stock, blue, smoothness, materials, etc.......the consumer will pay for the next level of quality.....

could they build a glass smooth bolt action in the price range of a mossberg patriot, savage axis, or ruger american and keep the same price levels?.....i have no idea. If they could, then i would guess they already would have.....if it was economically attractive to keep the same price point and attract new customers.

sadly....the top end rifles are out of reach......the mid-level rifles are still climbing in price.......and the entry/basic level rifles rule the market in sales and profit.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
If you are a manufacturer and your entry level rifles are selling as fast as you can make them without making any improvements to the action, why improve them? They are making plenty of profit and folks keep buying them. I think a lot of folks don’t really care that much, as long as it goes bang when the trigger is pulled and they can reasonably hit what they are aiming at; plastic stocks with rough actions and fairly ugly appearance all seem to be quite acceptable as long as the price is low enough.

I personally own a couple entry level rifles (Savage Axis II and Ruger American) and I find the actions tolerable. And they are both quite accurate. I put a wood stock on the Axis II, so it is not ugly anymore. But the action on my old Ruger 77 outshines them a lot; it is just a better quality rifle, as are my CZ’s, Howa, and Savage 110. I am willing to pay a little more for a smooth action and wood stock with pretty blued steel. The Howa and the Savage 110 aren’t lookers, but the action and fit/finish is superior to entry level guns. Like most everything, you mostly get what you pay for.

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to me that the entry and slightly better level is very competitive. That being the case, if you built the smoother action people would flock to you product. Yes it may cost a few dollars more and you could charge a few dollars more as well as make it up in volume. AKA if you build a better mouse trap. I know that the Ruger American and the Savage Axis II are good accurate rifles and as you say decent actions, then build the smoother action and corner the market at that price point. I think I’d rather go that route than to get a Mauser action, new Bagara barrel and then source a stock just to get to where today’s manufacturers could/should be.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Seems to me that the entry and slightly better level is very competitive. That being the case, if you built the smoother action people would flock to you product. Yes it may cost a few dollars more and you could charge a few dollars more as well as make it up in volume. AKA if you build a better mouse trap. I know that the Ruger American and the Savage Axis II are good accurate rifles and as you say decent actions, then build the smoother action and corner the market at that price point. I think I’d rather go that route than to get a Mauser action, new Bagara barrel and then source a stock just to get to where today’s manufacturers could/should be.
I wish it were so! You know there are many of us who would be delighted to get a good smooth action in those rifles, but I suspect, there are even more folks who don’t care or don’t even realize it could be better. Like I was saying earlier, they are not having any problems selling rifles without improving the actions, so there is no real motivation to improve. Too many people are quite happy with entry level rifles as they are for manufacturers to want to change. That would be especially true if it moved the price up because their competition would then be getting the sales. If nobody would buy the entry level guns, then they would have motivation to improve. As it is, they are bought up almost as fast as they can make them. Maybe I don’t really see the big picture on this right, but that is how I see it.:rolleyes:

· AZHerper
6,333 Posts
When I was a kid, we lived in Salt Lake City and my father went elk hunting every year in Wyoming. He used a 30-40 Krag and it was his favorite rifle. He'd bring back an elk every year and put it in our frozen food locker. In those days people didn't have home freezers and the people at the food locker would pack it and freeze it. Anyway, I kind of grew up eating elk and I loved it.

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I disagree. The Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular semi auto .22 rifle being made today. It isn’t the cheapest. It is simply a well built rifle. They built a better mouse trap. If they built it, people came, or something like that.

· Registered
6,328 Posts
Doesn't take much of a action to kill something.....people are happy with $250 rifles that kill just the same as a $5000 dollar rifle. If you want a smooth factory action look at a Tikka.

I'm lucky to own one of the smoothest custom actions I've ever put my hands on. I've hurt a lot of feelers with it when guys say their actions are smooth. And just for the record I own two other actions that are identical and aren't even in the same ball park.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
I disagree. The Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular semi auto .22 rifle being made today. It isn’t the cheapest. It is simply a well built rifle. They built a better mouse trap. If they built it, people came, or something like that.
I see your point, but the 10/22 was brought out in a different age as far as firearms go, back in 1964. (That is a long time ago!) In that day wood and blue steel was still the way of production...the 10/22 has evolved over the years into more plastic, but still a great little rifle that can be customized to no end. A lot has changed in machining and firearms production since 1964...I am glad the 10/22 is still hanging in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.