National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new S&W 9mm EZ on June 27th. Some may remember I was having trouble with FTF, seems to be getting caught on the ramp. I tried 115, 124, 147 and had trouble with all, especially with SD ammo. I took it to the range 3 times hoping it may be a break-in problem, but it wasn't. Ammo is not cheap anymore. Spent over 100 bucks to find out it doesn't work properly.

July 29th I sent it back Fed Ex. I know they received it about 3 days later but did not formally do anything until August 7th; which means it sat around for about a week before they emailed me they had it.

Today, September 10th I called to inquire and their response was, "we received it on August 7th so it will be a few more weeks before we know anything". Although they had it "officially" for 5 weeks, according to FedEx delivery receipt, they have had it for 6 weeks. I told the young lady that they have had my gun longer than I have. No reply. I then said, "well I guess saying anything will not help". Silence.

I am a patient man, at least I think I am. I shipped a new gun I had for about a month to S&W for repair and after 6 weeks they have not even looked at it. My problem with the gun is not a new problem. If I would have done better research, I would have found it is a big problem and they know about it (my fault). They apparently do not care because they are selling guns with known problem and then doing nothing about it when you contact them.

Although I have inherited a few S&W's, this is the first and LAST S&W I will ever purchase. This is the first time I purchased a gun and was unhappy with the product. With the price of ammo going up, when I do get it, I will have to waste more ammo to find out if they did fix it or not.

Anyone know how to start a class action lawsuit? Knowingly selling a product that only works intermittently!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Did it function with ball ammo ? Some auto loaders just don't do well, with defensive ammunition.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,307 Posts
If there is a design/manufacturing problem with the S&W EZ, your pistol is probably in a long line of returns that S&W is working through. Again, if there is a design/manufacturing problem, there will most likely be a recall of some lots of the pistol.

Delays can be due to a lack of parts ...... with everything going out S&W's door being sold almost immediately, I can see how there could be a shortage of some parts, that your pistol may require.

Personally, S&W isn't a manufacturer I would consider when looking for a semi-auto. I like their revolvers, just not their semi-autos.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have several S&W handguns and customer service has been great from the very few times I used it. Between the run on guns and ammo and with Covid-19 limitations on the workforce, I would give them some slack right now.

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several S&W handguns and customer service has been great from the very few times I used it. Between the run on guns and ammo and with Covid-19 limitations on the workforce, I would give them some slack right now.
Did it function with ball ammo ? Some auto loaders just don't do well, with defensive ammunition.
I had FTF with all ammo but frequency increased with weight and most definitely with SD ammo (regardless of weight).

I am thinking they know the problem since they did not want me to return the magazines with the gun.

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, S&W isn't a manufacturer I would consider when looking for a semi-auto. I like their revolvers, just not their semi-autos.
I inherited a model 19-6 (357 / 2.5 in) and a model 39 from my dad. I like the model 39 but not real happy with the revolver. I have mostly purchased Ruger in the past and when I have had an issue, turn around time was unbelievably fast; usually within 10 days.

Maybe I am being impatient.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow I just picked up two S&W handguns. A .380 Shield EZ and a .45M&P Shield. So far I have only run 71 gr. ball in the.380. Did have two rounds hang up on ejection port but after that ran 100 rounds of ball. So far they both are running just fine. The.45 shot everything I fed it no problems from the first round and now has 150 rounds of mixed ammo. Sorry to hear of your problem. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow I just picked up two S&W handguns. A .380 Shield EZ and a .45M&P Shield. So far I have only run 71 gr. ball in the.380. Did have two rounds hang up on ejection port but after that ran 100 rounds of ball. So far they both are running just fine. The.45 shot everything I fed it no problems from the first round and now has 150 rounds of mixed ammo. Sorry to hear of your problem. Good luck I hope it works out for you.
Try some SD ammo In the 380 and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Im going to try some SD ammo in my 380ez too. It does work with cast. When i 1st got it. It was ''lazy'' feeding. I had to assist it closing the slide all they way. It didn't take long though to feed rounds all the way in.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
I have more S&W M&P's than any other manufacturer. They are my pistol of choice. I have had 2 dealings with their customer service. 1 was great the other... just last friday... not so much.

First time I dealt with them. I bought an M&P Shield in .45acp. after 3 rounds the magazine would fall out of the gun. Literally drop right out. I called them. He asked how many mags I had. He sent me out new/redesigned followers free of charge for all my mags. Perfect.

Last Friday I called with a question about the M&P 2.0 compact... the young lady I spoke with was, frankly, an idiot.
She was not understanding my question and when I explained to her she wasn't understanding what I was asking she argued that she understood just fine. She did not understand, gave me incorrect information and in the end didn't answer my question. Call was a complete waste of time.

I really like their guns. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with their customer service.

·
AZHerper
3,741 Posts
A long time ago, I bought my wife a S&W 686. This was a stainless L-frame Smith with a 6-inch barrel in .357 magnum. This was her favorite gun and, I must admit, one of my favorites too.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
in these interesting times........with sales at an all-time high and empty shelves.....i am not suprised that the customer service of some companies is strained...

i can just imagine all the first time gun owners throwing away the manual and running guns dry or with wrong or crap ammo and returning the guns.......or outside sources for parts such as magazines dropping QC to meet the demands from the gun makers......or rookie 2nd and third shift techs or inspectors letting QC slip a notch.

i have never cared for polymer Smith mp series......

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Ziggidy, it really sucks that you are having all this trouble. I remember you buying it, right after I started the thread on that gun. I think you got your hands on it before I did. S&W polymer is always a crap shoot but that’s a more expensive one as far as their polymer guns are concerned.

I just hope after all this, it runs well so you can, either enjoy it or in good conscience, sell and get your money out of it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just sold my XD Mod2 4" and bought a M&P 2.0 4" (both 17rnd). I've run about 250 rounds - mostly ball but some Hornady CD - with no problems. I don't like their new slide catch, but it's a good gun so far.

·
Registered
740 Posts
How are the springs, in the mags? It would seem like you shouldn't have to already change springs, but do they work smoothly, and not bind up ?

Reason I ask, is many times, issues like what you mention can be traced to sub-par mag springs. Never seen this with new S&W springs, before, tho.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ziggidy I shot 25 rounds of Federal 85 grain Train & Protect HP ammo. No problems. Ammo for the .380 is not available anywhere at this time. So further testing will have to wait. This gun will be my wife's EDC in place of her Ruger .38 5 shot SP101 after it is tested with about 200 rounds of HP ammo when I can find it. Either I got lucky with my Smith EZ or you just got a lemon. Hopefully S&W will fix you gun and all will be well.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I am giving all companies a little slack these days. Long backlogs coming out of forced lockdowns.
Delayed supplies due to shipping backlogs. Quarantined employees.
Does not negate a new firearm not working properly.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Years ago when I was shopping for a 6 inch 357 I was trying to decide between the 686 and a Ruger GP 100. When I open the 686 cylinder would rest against the frame and kind of grind there if you spun it while loading. I went with the Ruger and been very happy with it. I also have a P 85 that’s wow is built like a tank has never given me any feeder function problems. I would buy a Smith but I seem to always be drawn to the Rugers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have had numerous M&P's since 2008 and have had a bit of trouble. When times were bettwer,i would get a gun back in10 days. Listen to the Cowboy.

·
Jesus Saves
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How are the springs, in the mags? It would seem like you shouldn't have to already change springs, but do they work smoothly, and not bind up ?

Reason I ask, is many times, issues like what you mention can be traced to sub-par mag springs. Never seen this with new S&W springs, before, tho.
I thought about the springs also but when asked him about sending back the magazine; he specifically told me not to send those back.

We will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts