National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just Bought the M&P 9L took it home and cleaned it then took it to the range today, I fired about 200 rounds of 115 grian remington UMC and i'd say 120 of them jammed while ejecting. then I tried the winchester 115 grian target ammo and had the same problem. I also noticed after fireing the final round the slide was not staying back like it should.my friend gave me about 40 rounds of wolf 115 grain and it didn't jam at all and the slide stayed back after the final round. anybody have any ideas on whats going on.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Sad... I have a couple M&P's one is 1 9MM, and a .45. My wife also has a 9mm. Of all three of ours, they have been perfect... zero issues.

Make sure the slide is locked right,and that you're not "limp wristing" it... beyond that, ship it back to S&W, they'll get it straightened out for you.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I just Bought the M&P 9L took it home and cleaned it then took it to the range today, I fired about 200 rounds of 115 grian remington UMC and i'd say 120 of them jammed while ejecting. then I tried the winchester 115 grian target ammo and had the same problem. I also noticed after fireing the final round the slide was not staying back like it should.my friend gave me about 40 rounds of wolf 115 grain and it didn't jam at all and the slide stayed back after the final round. anybody have any ideas on whats going on.

I think the gun is tight as heck. Do a drop test of your brass ammo into the chamber and see if it will just drop in cleanly and then pull out easily. If so that is not the problem. If it won't then scrub the heck out of it to remove any grease or other chamber fouling material.

It is always possible that the ammo is out of specs and that you have a bit of a bulge where the bullet seats in the case. Usually you can see that if you check the ammo that is not ejecting properly.

I have had a similar problem with several pistols when I first get them and most will sort themselves out after firing a few boxes of ammo.

Check that extractor with a magnifying glass to see if it has any burrs. I suspect not since the Wolf works fine. That actually is a good sign. Many guns are ammo sensitive but usually not with the base ammo that you buy. Usually ammo sensitivity comes with the more exotic stuff. Like the wide mouth hollow-points.

Clean the slide groves to make sure it is not dragging excessively against the return spring. Make sure to lube it lightly with a good lube. Will the slide return easily when you retract it manually and let go. Will it go completely into battery without having to pop it on the back?

Could be the return spring. But I think its just "new gun syndrome" Nice tight gun that needs some break in time.

I will work my slide as I sit in front of my TV sometimes to help break in a new gun. Works well with revolvers. Use makes them smooth.

Hope that helps. Lets us know what you discover.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info I'll check all of the things you mentioned and hopefully figure it out. I did notice it getting a little better towards the end of the day. but not much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts