National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from more then a few that the small of the back (SOB) carry is potentially very risky. The risk reportedly comes from carrying any hard solid object over the spine. If the person using such a carry falls back and lands on the item sever injury to the spine is possible. It was further reported that several LEO’s each year suffer such injuries (some even paralysis). Dose anyone have first hand knowledge confirming these reports? Anyone using a SOB carry? I have made several such rigs at customer requests, I would like to be better informed so as to provide the best info to my customers and the forum members.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Everything you said is true and also it is real easy to shoot yourself in the heat of the moment. I seen a FBI paper posted on it one time. There's not that many injuries or self shootings but there were some every year they had listed. These guys are the pros and they get hurt and shoot their selfs. It's not for me being a amateur. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I fell on the ice once, and on that particular day, I had decided to carry my pistol in my leather belt holster (a Galco FLETCH). Usually, I carried in the SOB all of the time. After that day - I never carried in the SOB again. If I had done so that day, I probably would have done some serious damage to myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think it is worth the risk because if you fall you will fracture your ass and second it is slow compared to canted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to buy the argument that SOBs would cause injury, paralysis, blindness, cancer, obesity, and terminal virginity if you fell over on one. Then I went to work at Galco, which sells more SOB holsters than probably every other manufacturer combined. You know what? No one has ever contacted the company after an injury that was related to the SOB. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. In today's litigious society, I guarantee that if someone went down on the ice and their SOB hurt them, their lawyer would have served Galco with papers immediately. But it's never happened.

Now I think it's just one more of the zillion Internet gun myths (though I first read about this supposed "danger" from Mas Ayoob twenty years ago). The real issues with SOB carry are speed and comfort, not some injury that may have never even happened.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can think of one risk..thats you sitting down somewhere and your gun bulging from your back making it very noticeable

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son was carrying SOB today when I met up with him at a car dealership. It was because of his dress which wouldn't conceal the Glock 19 he was carrying.
I personally find that carry uncomfortable and with my titanium back it would likely cause me injury if I fell backwards.
To each his/her own.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I've got a couple of Lenny McGill's videos, he demonstrates the Glock27 with the Galco Summer Comfort.

I've got both, and don't find carrying that way to be comfortable. I prefer OWB for eas of access, IWB in a pinch as required by circumstances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts